cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Why isn't removal tool publically issues?

To whomever it may concern!

May I ask why is the Endpoint Security Removal tool not published for public use? Imagine that a client has used McAfee products as trial and now they have decided to use other solutions than McAfee and they do not have any support ID. Why should they be in trouble for removing the products they used as trial and have no more interest to use them anymore???????????

McAfee Endpoint Security 

5 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why isn't removal tool publically issues?

Hi @it1024 

The tool supposed to be used only if regular uninstallation fails. In a perfect setup uninstallation should not be failed from Add remove program. If the uninstall fails due to any reason and it cannot be removed from Add remove program then only EPR should be used. This tool touches various kernel divers and system drivers. We have to be very sure that the tool not going to cause any issue at the system end. Without contacting support this tool should not be used. 

This is the reason we have clearly mentioned in the article https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90895:

IMPORTANT: Technical Support does not recommend using the EPR tool as your primary method for uninstalling McAfee products, nor when you have uninstallation issues for the first time. The EPR tool is intended as a last resort option when standard uninstallation methods have failed.

If it has been determined that the EPR tool is needed after all standard methods for uninstallation have proved unsuccessful, always make sure that you use the latest available version. You must not use an older version of the EPR tool to remove newer versions of McAfee software. If you try this, unexpected results might occur. For this reason, EPR tool releases are designed to expire every 90 days. For information about the latest versions of McAfee software that a version of the EPR tool can remove, and the supported Windows operating systems, see the User Guide for that version of the EPR tool. 

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 3 of 6

@patrakshar 

I totally understand what you are saying but most of the vendors have this tool published for all users even trial ones! What I do not understand is that when McAfee has got trial versions available so this tool must also be available!

Thank you,

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Hi @it1024 

Thank you for your response. Due to the nature of the tool it cannot be created as Trial version. 

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 5 of 6

@patrakshar 

Thank you for your reply. So what would be the purpose of publishing trial versions of the products themselves? If we have the product available as trial so the trial version of the uninstaller should be available as well!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Hi @it1024 

The products can be make as a trial version. This a a tool and as I mentioned in my first response it is not supposed to be used unless absolutely required. We cannot make this tool publicly available due to kind of impacts it can have in an environment if not used properly. I can understand your requirement but this decision is to keep environment safe. 

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community