cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Should ENS Removal Tool be able to remove Threat Prevention?

Jump to solution

Is this tool supposed to be able to remove Threat Prevention?  I have an issue where I tried removing Threat Prevention from a system using an EPO removal task, and the task somehow managed to get corrupted and never removed Threat Prevention, but now the properties for it are not being displayed in EPO either.  I have tried removal and redeployment tasks to fix the problem, but TP will not remove from the system or display TP properties in EPO.  So, I decided to try deploying the ENS Removal Tool to the system so I can remove Threat Prevention.  The deployment task is configured to "Install" with "McAfeeEndpointProductRemoval.exe --accepteula --ENS" in the command line (minus the parentheses).  I receive the error below that says it can't open the registry key Software\McAfeeEUA.  I'm not sure if that's supposed to be in the HKEY Current User or HKey Local Machine location, but I don't see a McAfeeEUA in either.  Any help with this would be appreciated.  removal tool error.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Should ENS Removal Tool be able to remove Threat Prevention?

Jump to solution

@nashcoop  Your command line options should only be --accepteula --ENS 

You should not include mcafeeendpointproductremoval.exe as an argument. You can also see this in the log:
Capture4.PNG

You can find the EPR user guide in REGISTERED - PD27734

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

3 Replies
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

@nashcoop  Your command line options should only be --accepteula --ENS 

You should not include mcafeeendpointproductremoval.exe as an argument. You can also see this in the log:
Capture4.PNG

You can find the EPR user guide in REGISTERED - PD27734

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Thanks, I figured that out shortly after adding my post.  I based my original command line content for the deployment task on what I read at the bottom of page 7 in the Endpoint Product Removal User Guide v19.3 which includes McAfeeEndpointProductRemoval.exe in the command line field.  Somebody ought to modify the guide and remove that .exe from the example since it's misleading and incorrect.ENS removal example.jpg

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

@nashcoop I'll take an action to provide feedback to the appropriate team to get that modified to be more clear at the next release. The reason that it is written as such is to give an example of what the inputs would be if you were executing it from local Windows Command Line, thus the column header. However, I understand where it can be extremely misleading when attempting to interpret that for use in ePO's command arguments section.

The differentiator is that ePO deployment automatically takes care of the .exe portion and you only need to implement the arguments without the need to call out the .exe.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community