cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exit126
Level 7

power management, screen burn in and the EE Pre-Boot

I am working through an EE 6.01 implementation and noticed that the pre-boot will stay on the screen for an extended length of time. Is there no timeout that will turn it off after the user has not touched it for X minutes or hours ? I already have issues with the patch management process and the pre-boot always kicking in instead of a warm boot pass through, I don't really want to add in a "burned image of the pre-boot into the screen cause the user went on vacation during a patch cycle" issue into the mix as well.

How does every one else handle this issue? What is the best practice recomendations? I don't want users to turn off their machines at night so that they can receive patches/updates, etc. and I'm not about to walk around the office and manually turn off a couple thousand machines that I see at the pre-boot prompt either.

Surely a timer could be built around the login input method that does something other than letting the screen burn if no input was received.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
peter_eepc
Level 15

Re: power management, screen burn in and the EE Pre-Boot

They should turn off their monitors , not PC's. Yes, a video timer should be built into PBA.

0 Kudos
exit126
Level 7

Re: power management, screen burn in and the EE Pre-Boot

Yes, that would be nice, however, users are lazy and cannot be bothered to turn off their screen, and most of my target machines will be laptops, that are left in their dock with the screen up

/

So, by your response, I take it you are confirming that there is nothing currently in place for this and there "should" be an enhancement but there may not be any plans to fix this?

0 Kudos