cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
levon
Level 7

is it necessary to remove EEPC (decrypt whole drive) only when I need to recover some files ?

Jump to solution

I hope this is not a stupid question, but I just need to ask in case I am wasting some valuable time trying to remove the encryption.

Do I really need to jump through all those hoops in order to remove the encryption when all I really want is to back up a few files on the C: drive of an EEPC 6.2 encrypted system that is no longer booting into Windows XP or 7?  In other words, Is there a way I can boot the system off any of your recommended tools to get past the preboot environement ( authenticating using a token or xml file + daily code) and THEN run a command prompt to browse and copy a few files from the C: drive to the USB key. Just as simple as that… I don’t really care about decrypting the WHOLE drive... I am going to reinstall the system anyways... 

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.

Regards,

Levon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mat.kordell
Level 12

Re: is it necessary to remove EEPC (decrypt whole drive) only when I need to recover some files ?

Jump to solution

No it will be available through the boot disk.  The boot disk is a winPE environment which is able to access the registery and file system.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mat.kordell
Level 12

Re: is it necessary to remove EEPC (decrypt whole drive) only when I need to recover some files ?

Jump to solution

You can use the wintech standalone boot disk or the boottech (i think it's called) to do emergency boot and gain access to windows.  You may be able to get into safe mode or recovery from there.  The documentation for this is in the product guide.  I beleive it is section 8.

If you need to run any other sort of boot disk or pre-boot recovery tools then I beleive you will need to decrypt.

Message was edited by: mat.kordell on 9/5/12 4:04:04 PM CDT
0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

Yes- you need an EETech WinPE CD, this is explained in the recovery docs you got with EEPC, or your prof services people can help you  make one.

With that you can boot off the CD, and access the encrypted drive, fix the registry, copy of and on files etc...

0 Kudos
mat.kordell
Level 12

Jump to solution

Oh yes... Haha I suppose I have still never used the full fledged winPE disk.  Maybe when it comes in ISO format I'll get around to exploring it's featuresSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
levon
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks but you say : " With that you can boot off the CD, and access the encrypted drive, fix the registry, copy of and on files etc... " but will this only be possible IF AND ONLY IF the whole drive is decrypted (or EEPC is removed) ? Thanks for clarrifying this very important point.

0 Kudos
mat.kordell
Level 12

Jump to solution

No it will be available through the boot disk.  The boot disk is a winPE environment which is able to access the registery and file system.

0 Kudos