cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonny
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 21

how do you restore a windows 7 when it cannot boot and says "fatal error:[OxEE000005] FAILED TO DESIRIALIZE TYPE"

how do you restore a windows 7 when it cannot boot and says "fatal error:[OxEE000005] FAILED TO DESIRIALIZE TYPE"

Please help.......

20 Replies

Re: how do you restore a windows 7 when it cannot boot and says "fatal error:[OxEE000005] FAILED TO DESIRIALIZE TYPE"

Just went through this last week.  Called McAfee support and they wanted me to try the SafeTech CD to decrypt the machine.  I tried that, but the screen froze as soon as I pressed decrypt.

I tried to look at the disk information using the button in SafeTech and it froze as well.  Then the tech said that the deserialize error was supposed to be fixed in EEPC 6.1, which I was running.  He said it was most likely related to bad sectors on the disk and to try a chkdsk AFTER wiping the computer and redoing it.

I reformatted the laptop and tried the chkdsk and it came back fine, so I think they had no clue how to fix it and just told me to redo the computer, which I fell for.  In your case, I would call McAfee support and keep on them to resolve the issue.  Keep me posted.

mo_dds
Level 7
Message 3 of 21

Re: how do you restore a windows 7 when it cannot boot and says "fatal error:[OxEE000005] FAILED TO DESIRIALIZE TYPE"

I've had the exact same situation, lost all data on that particular system

I also got spun the 'it should be fixed in EEPC 6.1'

If you discovered a way to resolve this please let us know

thanks

Export the recovery .xml from the console for that particular host and EEtech(standalone) Emergency Boot.

tommersyip,  that would work, except for the EETECH freezing up on anything you want to do.   Press the Emergency Boot button and the EETECH screen freezes as soon as you click the button.  Same thing for EETECH decryption and checking disk information.

My experience with the deserialize type error is that it renders EETECH useless and then I was told by the McAfee tech that the only recourse would be to use Norton Ghost to take a sector image to try to pull data out of it.  Since I didn't have ghost, then the only option left was to reformat and lose everything.

I don't like the fact that in this situation, i was told that "most people use ghost to recover" and that I am expected to have multiple 3rd party tools to recover my computer.  I should be able to rely on the tools provided my the vendor (McAfee) to get access to my data.

brianm
Level 7
Message 6 of 21

I agree with jsiergiej.  I just ran into a laptop that had the same error.  EETECH froze while attempting to do anything with it.  Had to reformat.  This needs to be fixed.

Me three.  I had this happen twice on XP in the past two weeks.  I was able to decrypt and recover data but never could get either machine to boot again.  WinPE and Standalone EETECH freezes when trying to Remove EEPC or reset MBR.

whgibbo
Level 12
Message 8 of 21

Hi,

Firstly I'm sorry too hear that you are experiencing this problem, but if  each of you could reply to this thread with the following information we will look at the problem.

• Make/Model/BIOS version of the machine.
  • Windows OS version/build/service pack.
  • Is the machine is regularly put into a hibernation state.
  • Is a custom theme deployed to the machine.
  • At what point does the 'Failed to deserialize type'  message appear, on reboot or when user attempts to login ?  If possible could you please attach a screen shot.
  • Any steps that you have to reproduce the problem.
  • When using EETech, are you booting from a USB Stick/CD/DVD
  • What version of EETech is being used.

Many thanks

Message was edited by: whgibbo on 5/13/11 2:25:59 AM CDT

Message was edited by: whgibbo on 5/13/11 2:33:56 AM CDT

• Dell Latitude D610 BIOS A06 and D830   BIOS A10
  • Windows XP SP3
  • No hibernation - Disabled on all PCs - 300 (Laptops only)
  • Custom theme to include just a branded background
  • Message appears after user shuts off PC and upon restart.
  • Any steps to reproduce problem - We upgraded to 6.1 and some agents/software are at 1.1.0.248 and some are still at 1.0.2.2 - but so far this has only happened on the .248 machines
  • Booting from EETECH CD.  I have tried Standalone which seems to lock on nearly everything.  The WinPE version doesn't lock but you when you execute some tasks like reset MBR or Remove EEPC it just sits there.  I have even left it overnight.   I have downloaded the latest version of EETECH currently availale under our grant number, I beleive 6.1.0.6681182

Also note that the root cause seems to be somethng related to "Bad XML"  When you export the XML recovery data the algorithym section is all corrupted so i am assuming it is on the local machine also.  I edit the exported XML between the algorithm tags and it will allow me to authenticate by file, but when I try to reset MBR with that file, on the last machine I received an error something to the effect of bad authrorization data.  If it happens again, I will try to capture all messages and document all steps taken more thoroughly.

Best regards,

Rich S

whgibbo
Level 12
Message 10 of 21

Hi rsterling,

I was just re-reading this thread and noticed that you mentioned

Any steps to reproduce problem - We upgraded to 6.1 and some agents/software are at 1.1.0.248 and some are still at 1.0.2.2 - but so far this has only happened on the .248 machines

So was wondering if anybody had been able to reproduce this with a fresh install of EEPC 6.1, I.E. not upgrading from 6.0.x.

Many thanks