Without getting too far off topic - and I may be going out on a limb here but with this Deserialize Type error, the EETECH locking up and the inability to run a Reset MBR, Do the settings below on the product policy have anything to do with it?
What are teh current recommended settings per McAfee? (My prof services tech recommended opposite of what the pre-sales McAfee tech told us.
Checked or unchecked?
Use compatible MBR
Fix OS boot record sides
Use windows system drive as boot disk
By default all of these options are unchecked by default.
What are yours currently set to and if checked what was the reason for doing so ?
Mine are also all unchecked. Reason for doing so is our Professional services setup engineer suggested it.
Here's the info for our machine:
Dell Latitude E5510, A09 BIOS
No custom theme
The Failed to deserialize error appears when booting the machine, before the pre-boot authentication screen would normally appear.
Steps to reproduce: The machine was first getting the error, "EE000007 Internal initialization error" when entering any userid into the pre-boot authentication screen. I opened a service ticket, SR # 3-1531306571, and was advised to try an emergency boot using the EETech disk. I did the emergency boot and the machine booted into Windows. On the next reboot, I got the EE000005 Failed to Deserialize error instead of the pre-boot authentication screen.
I attempted to use EETech to manually decrypt the machine but it locks up as soon as it tries to start the encryption.
This was with EETech version 220.127.116.11 booting from a CD.
I am pretty much identical to rsterling and brian m. I was told by a McAfee technician that this was a bug that was supposed to have been fixed with 6.1.
Is it possible that you could check the contains of the recovery information XML file and ensure that you are using the latest version of EETech..
We are trying to reproduce this at the moment, so any additional information you have would be appreciated.
Do you ever have a USB device attached? Could EETech lock up when a USB device is attached, but not when you haven't, leading to the impression it is a random event?
Also, are you using the EETech shipped with 6.1? If not, please could you ensure that you use the latest version of EETech (version number 18.104.22.16881182). Please see https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71640&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=....
If you have problems with EETech Standalone with a USB device attached, please retry without the USB device attached.
I have a copy of the recovery information XML file, but not sure what you want me to check. I can verify that it does look like XML
I was using what I believe was the latest version of EETech for the 6.0.2 version of EEPC. We had not yet installed 6.1. I did have a USB attached, because I had to use file authentication. In my case, this machine has already been formatted, so I no longer have it available to test with.
Could you please send me a private message and attach the recovery information xml file so that I can take a look at it..