cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
runcmd
Level 10

ePO Upgrade from 4.5 to 5.x and Encrypted USB Devices

Jump to solution

I am administering an ePO at version 4.5 on a Windows 2003 VM.  I want to upgrade to version 5.x on a Windows 2012 VM.  I am trying to determine if it would be better to:

a.) Keep our existing SQL database backend (which is currently on a different server), upgrade the ePO, setup a new ePO on the 2012 server and then point it to the existing database.

b.) Start from scratch with a fresh ePO at 5.x and a new database.The existing environment has been in place since approximately 2008, so I thought it might be a good idea to start over with a clean slate.

I have one major concern...

We are using McAfee Standard Encrypted USB flash drives (USB-ST02) in our environment and they are all managed by the existing ePO.  In my research, I've heard rumors that the McAfee Encrypted USB Series, Gen II is being or has been discontinued.  (Is this true and, if so, what is the replacement?)  As far as I can determine from the master repository, we are relying upon the Encrypted USB Administrator (v1.5.0/11), Encrypted USB Client (v1.5.0/11), Encrypted USB FW Package Gen II (v2.1.0), and Encrypted USB SW Package Gen II (v 1.5.0/11).  Will these packages work on ePO v5.x and, if not, is there a version that will?  Since these devices are centrally managed by the ePO, is starting over with a new ePO database not an option because all of our users' encrypted USB devices would need to be reinitialized?

Thanks for any and all feedback!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
runcmd
Level 10

Re: ePO Upgrade from 4.5 to 5.x and Encrypted USB Devices

Jump to solution

I reached out to Imation Technical Support and the representative there informed me that Imation is working on an update to meet compatibility with ePO version 5 for the Imation Defender (and McAfee and MXI) products. This is expected to be available towards the end of Q1, 2014.  It looks like there is hope for support of the McAfee devices on ePO v5 but it's a waiting game for right now.  Thanks for all responses!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Reiner
Level 10

Jump to solution

I do not think these are/will be supported - we stopped this a while ago. Also, with ePO 5.1 only the products listed in KB79169 will be supported. EERM (part of EEFF) might be used instead.

0 Kudos
runcmd
Level 10

Jump to solution

Thanks, Reiner.  Considering how many of these devices we have, this is not the answer I was hoping to have to relay up to my management but...  Thank you for the response!  I have a call in to our vendor's sales representative to determine what our options are.  I appreciate your direction!

0 Kudos
Reiner
Level 10

Jump to solution

Welcome. Please double check with your representative as I am not 100% sure. As far as I understand most case were referred to Imation (http://www.imation.com/Global/External/pdf/McAfee_ePolicy.pdf) so you may want to check with them as well (securityTS@imation.com).

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

The encrypted USB product like was transitioned over to Imation back in May 2012 - All customers were notified, but I guess your manager didn't forward this on - http://ir.imation.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=73967&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1690285&highlight=

their product page is at

http://www.ironkey.com/en-US/mcafee-epolicy-orchestrator/index.html

They should be able to help you, as Imation continued the Encrypted USB product stream onwards.

0 Kudos
runcmd
Level 10

Jump to solution

I reached out to Imation Technical Support and the representative there informed me that Imation is working on an update to meet compatibility with ePO version 5 for the Imation Defender (and McAfee and MXI) products. This is expected to be available towards the end of Q1, 2014.  It looks like there is hope for support of the McAfee devices on ePO v5 but it's a waiting game for right now.  Thanks for all responses!

0 Kudos