cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP profile error

Many of my Windows XP users are receiving the following error after they have been encrypted:

Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being use by another process

This also shows up with a Windows Event ID 1505. There is also an Event ID 1508:

Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient rights. DETAIL: The process cannot access the file because is is being used by another process. for c:\documents and settings\USERID\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\\UsrClass.dat

I've gone through this Microsoft KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935649 which has helped but not eliminated the issue. This issue did not occur prior to the users being encrypted. We are not using preboot auth. I've talked to support twice and nobody had heard of a similar issue.

4 Replies
foliveir
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows XP profile error

Hello,

Which version of EEPC are you using ? I have never heard of a similar issue so don't take me wrong but are you 100% sure that the only thing that changed in the environment was EEPC ?

HTH,

Fausto

EEPC version 6.1.3. And we have not made any changes that I am aware of in the environment. It does seem to happen most often when people are loggin in off of the corp network.

foliveir
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Hello,

I cannot see any direct correlation between our software and the user profile nor to my knowledge anything like should happen due to EEPC, I would advise that you open a service request with our support for further investigation.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

HTH,

Fausto

Quick update. If we remove EEPC this issue does not occur. It also doesn't happen on Windows 7 clients.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community