Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Windows Corrupted and Missing Pre-boot authentication window

Hello,

I'm having difficulty with windows latest release 1903, the driver (Kaspersky) was corrupted on Lenovo T490 , and some how it was not going on windows loading screen since then,  whenever it's start goes to automatic repair which in my case it's also not working, and gives an error windows can't repair neither i can restore from restore point. I check all the options to recover but helpless here. The actual problem starts here! The laptop was encrypted by Mcafee Encryption on first or two-three times it was giving me pre-boot authentication screen , i dunno what i have done try to restore from windows automatic recovery now the pr-boot authentication screen is missing and the user have very important data store on laptop which he can't afford to loose. I have downloaded the tool "ezmbr13" . I have windows 7 installed on my laptop and required to help to make a recovery drive. I need help from anyone to recover the data from corrupted laptop. what i need to do first step by step process will be appreciated. Thanks 

1 Reply
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Windows Corrupted and Missing Pre-boot authentication window

Hi @Tayyab ,

Thank you for writing in here. 

First of all windows automatic repair should be disabled before using encryption on the HDD. This is a best practice and recommended by McAfee. Please see the article for your future deployments.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB76649

At this state, we cannot confirm here if the data could be retrieved or not as data retrieval is dependent on the Disk Health, however we can help you with the Disk Decryption or to access the data using the WIN PE (Option 2)

-> We have two options now to recover the data inside the HDD

Option 1:
=======

-> Perform manual decryption on the cloned HDD and get the data
-> However to perform the manual decryption you would need to get the original HDD cloned (sector to sector cloning) with an Identical HDD of same make and model.
-> Once the disk is cloned, we will use the cloned HDD for the decryption purpose.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66433&pmv=print

-> If you are not willing to clone the Original HDD and willing to perform the decryption on the original HDD itself, then you would need to accept the risk of performing the decryption on the Original HDD.

Option 2:
=======

-> You can recover the data inside the HDD if the HDD is in a good state using the Drive Recovery Tool or WIN PE tool without performing the decryption
-> You can download the respective tools from the below website based on your BIOS type and the MDE version type and your HDD type:

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-in/downloads/free-tools/eztools.html

Steps to build the Drive Recovery or WIN PE ISO image:

-> Take up a windows 10 machine only (WIN 10 1709 or higher)
-> If this win 10 machine is a UEFI machine then please disable the Secure Boot and Fast Boot Options from the BIOS in this machine.
-> Make sure this machine is present in the same organization where the machine with the issue is present
-> Then place the EZMBR or EZEFI tool on the desktop of the machine and right click and run it with the admin rights.
-> Then follow the instructions on the Videos below appropriately,

If your windows 7 pc with the issue has legacy bios kindly use the EZMBR tool or if that machine has the EFI BIOS then use the EZEFI tool.

The below videos which I made with EZMBR and EZEFI version 9.2 will guide you through the steps involved in making the WIN PE or the Drive Recovery ISO.

The below video is for EZMBR 9.2 and on how to build the ISO image.

And the below video is for EZEFI,

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank you

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community