cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sf_dan
Level 7

Windows 7 64bit hangs at "Starting Windows"

We are having lots of problems with systems hanging at "Starting Windows" after installing EEPC, EEFF, and DLP products.

Setup:

PC model with problem: multiple models and even virtual machines

Products:

Product Version
Agent 4.6.0.2935
Product Coverage Reports 4.6.0.2935
Endpoint Encryption Agent 1.2.1.315
Data Loss Prevention 9.2.200.60
Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders 4.1.1.150
Endpoint Encryption for PC 6.2.1.315

Symptom:

1st - Install Mcafee Agent on system

2nd - Install Endpoint Encryption Agent

3rd - Install EEFF

4th - Install DLP

5th - Install EEPC

I can actually change the order of 3, 4, and 5 but typically after installing the last component the system will reboot and just constantly hang on the "Starting Windows" screen and never fully boot. I have left systems sit over night and they never finish. The part making it REALLY difficult to troubleshoot is the fact that it doesn't happen 100% of the time, sometimes the system will actually boot. Has anyone seen something similar or have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
12 Replies
radiomoskau
Level 7

Re: Windows 7 64bit hangs at "Starting Windows"

Hi!

I wish I could provide you with an answer, but we're facing the same problem! I hope there's someone with an idea!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mark_75
Level 7

Hello Dan,

we have the same Problem as you described.

We noticed this Issue mostly on Notebooks with SSD Disks and Symantec AV installed on it.

Which AV-Programm do you use? Because we detected a relationship between one AV-Service and the McAfee Software.

0 Kudos
sf_dan
Level 7

We also use Symantec AV. SEP version 11.x to be exact.

edit: apologies, it is actually SEP 12

Message was edited by: sf_dan on 7/29/13 9:52:59 AM CDT
0 Kudos
Mark_75
Level 7

Hello Dan,

you should have a look at the Symantec BHDrvx64 driver. There can be a conflict witth McAfee Drivers while starting  up the Machine.

You can try to change the Start-Type from System to Automatic.

0 Kudos
Mark_75
Level 7

The Driver exists only in SEP 12.x ist for Proactive Detection SONAR.  With SEP 11.x we had no Problems so far.

So my advice should help you.

0 Kudos
ponthieuxj
Level 7

I have had this issue on multiple machines. We are not using FF (yet) or DLP and use forefront as an AV.  I have noticed that I am able to log on to the machine (while it is at the starting windows screen) from the Configuration Manager Remote Control and also able to access the admin$ on the stations, and they never leave the starting windows screen. This helps with recovering files. Afterwards I unencrypt and re-encrypt. I have also noticed that these machines are almost always doing  Windows upates before this happens. Not sure if any of this helps, but I just wanted to share my observations.

0 Kudos
avguru
Level 7

interesting statement. in our company were many errors as we could distribute the service pack one on wsus. that was over a year ago. until now there is no solution about which number of KB patch

0 Kudos
maciekl123
Level 7

Hi there.

I have the same issue.

Now have tested one solution - change the BIOS version (update it) in some cases it helps, but still have some machines with this issue.

0 Kudos
costelloit
Level 7

Hi maciekl123,

I know this may sound crazy, but my team is seeing many cases where machines with Windows 7 x64 with an SSD and end point encryption enforced locks up randomly. We have tried everything from upgrading the bios, upgrading all drivers, disabling wireless cards, installing Intel Rapid Storage (which should upgrade the storage controller drivers) and some of them would fix it for a day, a week, but nothing long term. The only fix that works is disable system restore. Still waiting to make sure it still works after weeks, but so far so good. If you find good luck with this, please let me know.

John

0 Kudos