cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcafee8080
Level 7

WinPE v3 or BartPE on EEPC 6.1.3 on 64bit Windows 7 client?

we need make a bootable recovery CD for a EEPC 6.1.3 on 64bit windows 7 client. Should we used winPE v3 or BartPE to create this recovery CD?

I dowload AIK for windows 7 from Microsoft site , Do I need to install it on this EEPC 6.1.3 on 64bit Windows 7 client? Any suggstion is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Cliff

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Don_Martin
Level 11

Re: WinPE v3 or BartPE on EEPC 6.1.3 on 64bit Windows 7 client?

Hello,

just have a look over here:

https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/data/epoenc/blog/2011/01/20/how-to-create-an-ee-tech...

and make sure to use the english WAIK Download. Have a look into the comments and as far as I can tell there is no need to create the Image on an encrypted Workstation.

0 Kudos
mcafee8080
Level 7

Thanks, Martin. my client is EEPC 6.1.3 ,  this original solution is for EEPC 6.1.2 , does it also apply to EEPC 6.1.3 ( EETech files, registry change etc.)?

as my client is a windows 7 64bit, does that mean BartPE (the bootable CD created by latest PE builder) will not work on win 7 64bit.

Any more suggestion is welcome.

Best Regards,

Cliff

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

You need to build on a 32bit machine, as eetech is a 32bit app and winpe does no support wow64. Bartpe may work though, it's undefined.

It does not matter what version you ave have on the host, since all the code comes off your boot cd. The file system is the same regardless.

0 Kudos
clmcm400
Level 7

This thread is closest to what I am trying to do, so pardon the hijack.  I am basically trying to do the same.  I have WAIK, 64bit install media, 64bit build system, and all the support files for 6.1.3.  I am trying to get it to work in Win7PE_SE using WinBuilder (82).  I have been using different references to no avail:

https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/data/epoenc/blog/2011/01/20/how-to-create-an-ee-tech...

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/25313?start=50&tstart=0

and:

http://reboot.pro/13559/

But that last one is for VistaPE.  Can I just not port that to win7 64bit?  The closest I got was windows crashed while trying to load MfeEpEPc.sys.  Is this because 6.1.3 is 32bit only?  I saw instructions for 64bit stuff with 6.2... is that compatible?  Would 6.2 be able to decrypt 6.1.3?  As you can see, did some research, and that only leads me to more questions...

Cliff, have you gotten any closer?

Simon, help!

Thanks,

~Chris

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

There's no WOW64 on WinPE, so as far as I can tell, it's NEVER going to work because EETech is a 32bit app talking to 64bit drivers.

yes, the versions are backwards compatible, but you need to build a 32bit CD, or use a "PE" style environment which supports WOW64 - like the unsupported Make_PE3.exe tool? (I have no experience of it though).

Unless you have some other utility which ONLY works in 64bit mode though - why go to the effort? Why do you really need a 64bit PE cd to run EETech?

0 Kudos
clmcm400
Level 7

I just tried with version 6.2 (to see if I should just skip 6.1.3 outright)... got as far as:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/lyw69

That's building on a 64bit host from 64bit source on win7pe_se... I followed the directions in the 6.2 PDF for building for winpe3.  Thoughts?

I will try building on a 64bit system from 32bit source next and see what happens...

Thanks,

~Chris

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

not sure anyone is getting what I am saying - Microsoft WinPE 64bit does not contain the subsystems which allow you to run 32bit applications (WOW64) - it's totally missing from the build. So, there's no way, no how, that any 32bit app should run.

That's Microsoft's official line AFAIK, so any attempt to build EETech on a Microsoft WinPE 64bit environment is doomed to failure.

0 Kudos
clmcm400
Level 7

Actually I did get that vibe - that is why I switched it up to 6.2... That has EETech64.exe... I was assuming that was 64bit.   I also followed the instructions in the 6.2 PDF.  Are you saying that even the 6.2 EETech64.exe won't work in a 64bit winpe?

Regardless - I am still going to try building a 32bit environment (with the 6.1.3 version of EETech) and seeing what happens.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

you got me on that one - I forgot about the new 64bit version ;-)

Yes you are right, if you're using all the new 64bit components, it will work perfectly on PE64.

0 Kudos