cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
romardy
Level 9

Win PE boot disk

Hi,

I was trying to test the winpe boot cd with added EE driver but when I try to access drive C (going to the directory of C), it display an error  "The specified path is not available"

Anyone got an idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
romardy
Level 9

Re: Win PE boot disk

I was following the KB article for McAfeeEE6x_WindowsOSRefresh_v1_1 and our EEPC version is 6.2

I made all the registry editing and copying of files on windows PE file but still can't access the drive C.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

0 Kudos
romardy
Level 9

Hi Safeboot,

Thanks for this useful article. I already made the recovery disk following the KB article.

The issue now is when I boot the boot cd and test if I can access the local drive C and gives me below error.  IMG00085-20130226-0943.jpg

0 Kudos
hemantk
Level 12

Hello.

Are you using Win PE on Encrypted Laptop/Desktop????.....

If yes you need to Decrypt the Disk first to get access. Pls, refer EETECH guide for Decrypting Laptop/Desktop.

For any clarifications pls, feel free to contact me.

0 Kudos
romardy
Level 9

Hi,

It is an encrypted laptop. We need to use the boot disk with EE driver to access the drive C for OS refresh. In the process there is a step where the boot disk will need to access the local disk to capture EpeMbr. However, if the disk will not be accessible by the boot disk, the process will not continue as we are tryign to link the OS refresh thru SCCM.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

you can't just "access" an encrypted drive through a boot disk - there needs to be some authentication along the way. You're going to have to start EETech and authenticate before you can access anything on the encrypted disk.

If you want to capture the EEPC mbr, use the instructions and tools in the OS refresh toolkit to do that - but in that case you don't need to be accessing any of the encrypted files on the OS partition.

There's no way to automate access to an encrypted drive though - that's the point of encryption, to prevent such a thing.

0 Kudos
romardy
Level 9

Thanks Safeboot for clarifying this issue and giving a clear view of how the boot disk works.

0 Kudos