cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
l3370
Level 8

Using the WinPE DETech tools from booted Windows 7 OS

Jump to solution

So I've read around in these forums that its *technically* feasible to run the EE/DETech (Opal/64bit) recovery tools from a booted Windows OS...anyone actually get that to work?

I think i'm getting close. First, I had to mimic the files structure seen in the DETech.

/EpeReaders

/Epetokens

/Locale

/Theme

Next,  I had to copy the contents of the DETech recovery tools to the appropriate folders. I tried guessing and putting the, but kept getting errors saying it can't find a file.. I don't have an exact listing of where each file goes... so i copied ALL the files and copied them to each of the four folders. No more file missing errors.

I can now open the tool, and enter the daily code to authorize. To test, I tried running this on my own OPAL encrypted device, and received this error:

"Failed to retieve key check from disk the primary disk, press OK to continue Authentication or Cancel to abort"

Granted I am running WinPE DETech from the same drive I am testing decrypting/remove EE.... So I guess thats one possible fail point. Should I expect to be able to see this work on a slaved drive?  Am I going in the right direction with this or is my process flawed?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Using the WinPE DETech tools from booted Windows 7 OS

Jump to solution

If you didn't install the filter driver it's never going to work - you need as JA02013 mentions work through the WinPE files and make the appropriate registry changes etc.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

EZPE32 - Data Recovery Builder

Check out the custom option and compare your structure with the Phase 1 custom folder produced. That's what the tool does so you don't have to put it all together yourself from scratch. Then you can burn iot to a bootable usb or cdrom!

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

If you didn't install the filter driver it's never going to work - you need as JA02013 mentions work through the WinPE files and make the appropriate registry changes etc.

0 Kudos
ecardanha
Level 7

Jump to solution

Are there any plans to provide an official installer package to provide this tool within Windows?  I would find it quite helpful to be able to mount an encrypted drive for recovery purposes as a slave without needing to decrypt it first or needing to boot into a PE environment.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

No, no plans.

0 Kudos