Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

Unable to uninstall McAfee drive encryption 7.x

Hi All,

I am unable to remove McAfee Drive encryption from windows machine, when i run client task for particular client machine but its shows failed.

sometimes Drive encryption agent will uninstall not the Drive encryption-windows.

Drive encryption status is INACTIVE

If  there is any way to remove McAfee drive encryption than please guide some steps..

I have attached some imp attachments..

Kindly revert ASAP i am waiting for your updates..

MDE.PNGMDE1.PNG

10 Replies
jmcleish
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Unable to uninstall McAfee drive encryption 7.x

You need to change the product policy for that machine under encryption to Encrypt: None, and General: 'Enable policy' must be unselected as well.

then wakeup the client so it picks up the policy

Make sure the uninstall take removes EEPC first. I've separated them out with a specific group/s with a decrypt policy and uninstall tasks.

On the McAfee agent shield- click quick settings and show drive encryption status. If its shows inactive then the machine has not been activated and is not encrypted....

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

Yes, the policy already unselected with Enable policy option. But still it's not getting uninstalled.

On some of the laptops,Drive encryption-Agent is getting uninstalled not the Drive encryption-windows.

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 12.00.23 AM.png

jmcleish
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 11

You also need the encrypt disks set to none:

If the agent is getting uninstalled first then you leave your machines unmanageable. What comes first in your uninstall task? It has to be the software first and not the agent. If the agent is uninstalled it will not uninstall the software.

Not sure what you can do if the encryption is left on. You might want to try and reinstall the encryption agent so you can manage it.

Are the machines definitely decrypted? When you reboot do you get the PBA screen?

I separate them out into two groups for clarity and just move them into the groups. each group has its own specific uninstall task for the respective

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11

we have already set the encryption to none.

created client task to uninstall the DE
1.DE for windows
2.DE for agent

But only DE agent is getting uninstalled.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 11.18.29 PM.png

jhall2
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 11

The error seen is "cannot get uninstall command from plugin area". I would assume this is a failure to find the uninstall string here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\EEPC | Reg_SZ = Uninstall Command

and here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\EEADMIN_1000 | Reg_SZ = Uninstall Command

Check the registry for the msiexec uninstall string. If they don't exist, copy the string from another system with the same version of MDE installed, remove the /q switch and run them in command line. Uninstall the EEPC component first and EEAdmin second. If they do exist, copy them, remove the /q switch and run them manually in command line.

jappell
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Problem: You have the DE software installed without its counterpart DE Agent. You cannot remove DE software from the client.

Comment: This can occur, but not always, when you have a hybrid client deployment task. This would mean one task that has multiple demands such as remove de software, de client, de go.

Suggestion: Since you removed the software, reintroduce and install the missing DE Agent. Remove any client deployment tasks associated with the system. The policy should be disabled as shown.

1. Remove the DE Software.

2. Remove the DE Agent.

3. Remove the DEGo (Optional).

Side Note: What was the purpose of removing the encryption from this system?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 11

yes , we have unchecked the enable policy in general and set encryption to None.

Created client task to uninstall the DE as
Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 11.18.29 PM.png

But only Agent is getting uninstall not the windows.

Side Note : We are encrypting  the device using MNE(Management of Native Encryption).

web1b
Level 7
Message 9 of 11

What is the solution for this problem?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 11

i have been trying to uninstall the DE windows and then DE agent . but it seems uninstalling and getting an error

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community