cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taha
Level 9

USB not detected in EETech stanalone emergency boot

HI All,

I am faing a problem while try to emergency boot on my EEPC 6.1 PC. After booting from eetech standalone when i enable usb it show message usb emabled but I can't see usb while try to load key file from my usb.

any work around. I am facing the same issue on several machines. The usb ports are working fine and same usb is working while logon.

Besides this enable pre boot usb option is also checked in polices.

Waiting for reply

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: USB not detected in EETech stanalone emergency boot

A few things come to mind - did you have the key plugged in when you booted the machine? If not, try that.

second, if it's a HP, and has USB3 (and does not have an Intel chipset) I know that does not work, because the chipset does not emulate USB2 for some ports - If I remember right one side of the device is USB2 (works), the other is USB3 (does not).

You might want to mention the specific models you're having problems with and see if anyone else has the same experience.

0 Kudos
dan27
Level 7

Hi Taha. Are you using a USB stick or USB floppy drive to boot the EETech Standalone utility?

The reason I ask is that we have tried using the bootable USB stick and found it didnt work - with floppy however it worked fine.

.. and here's me thinking we didnt use floppy disks in this day and age......

Regards

Dan

0 Kudos
taha
Level 9

@Safeboot I tried with both key pluged in before and after booting the system. I have USB 2 interfaces. I am using simple intel core2duo machines.

@Dan27 I am using USB stick as floppy is not available in my system.

Now my question is will it make any effect if I use "usb floppy" drive as I don't have floppy drive in my machies.

Is there any other way via EETech or some thing else to perform emergency boot.

0 Kudos
mat.kordell
Level 12

I had a similar issue the other day... reseting default bios settings fixed it for me... since the standalone disk relys on the bios for it's communication with the hardware I would give that a shot.

0 Kudos
taha
Level 9

@Mat resetting the bios didn't me. Again this is interesting that in this era we need floppy disk for emergency boot where non of the laptops comes with floppy disk anymore.

Any suggestion.. can a usb floppy disk help? because i don't have floppy disks in my machines and laptops.

0 Kudos
dan27
Level 7

You will need to use a USB floppy disk drive to run the standalone utility if you dont have an internal drive.

We never got the utility to work correctly when booting off a usb drive - it only works via floppy disk which is absurb in this day and age.

0 Kudos
taha
Level 9

hmm...Now I think I should buy a usb floppy drive without wasting more time.

Dan... Actually I am new to encryption world. can you pls explain what is the purpose of restore MBR in EETech utility? I tried this yesterday and my OS is no more loading and shows the message that endpoint encryptions is not present. Is there any way to fix this problem?

Thank You

0 Kudos
msaviano3
Level 8

@ taha:  We have experienced the same issue with an Emergency Boot  CD with EETech 6.2.0.296 on Lenovo laptops.  We tried several different USB sticks and eventually found one that worked.  We didn't change anything on the PC, some USB sticks worked, some didn't.  I wasn't able to pinpoint the difference between the USB sticks either.

0 Kudos
taha
Level 9

hmm interesting. But I heard that floppy drives always works, even I can see floppy drive letter A: in one of my machines but I don't have any floppy available.

I will try to use different USB stick...

0 Kudos