cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TK45
Level 9

Support new encryption providers (OPAL encrypted drives) on EEPC v6.1.x.

Jump to solution

Hi,

"Release Notes for Endpoint Encryption for PC v6 Patch 1" describes following.

==========================================

Encryption provider-

Adds new encryption providers (OPAL encrypted drives) and tokens quickly in a pluggable environment. However, this release does not support the hardware encryption.

==========================================

This description is not there from "Release Nots EEPC v6 Patch2". But I am afraid that 6.0.x has NOT supported the encryption providers (OPAL encrypted drives) yet.

Do anyone know what is the version encryption providers (OPAL) support? (6.1.1? 6.1.2? or later?)

Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Support new encryption providers (OPAL encrypted drives) on EEPC v6.1.x.

Jump to solution

later - there are still hardly any OPAL drives in existance, until manufacturers start shipping them and they conform properly to the TCG standard, it's not going to be possible to properly support them.

By that, I don't mean "allow you to use the single BIOS password to authenticate", I mean give exactly the same experience you have with the current pre-boot, but use OPAL drive encryption instead of software encryption.

I'm not sure anyone could really accept going back to single bios style passwords now.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

later - there are still hardly any OPAL drives in existance, until manufacturers start shipping them and they conform properly to the TCG standard, it's not going to be possible to properly support them.

By that, I don't mean "allow you to use the single BIOS password to authenticate", I mean give exactly the same experience you have with the current pre-boot, but use OPAL drive encryption instead of software encryption.

I'm not sure anyone could really accept going back to single bios style passwords now.

0 Kudos
amerry
Level 9

Jump to solution

EEPC 6.2 is when EEPC will start to have support for Opal hardware.

0 Kudos
TK45
Level 9

Jump to solution

amerry,

Really? It's a good information!

0 Kudos