Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 28

Re: SSO Inconsistent - EEPC 6.1

I have something to add to the thread.  I sync'd the clocks on two laptops (to at least the second).  I then used one laptop to monitor when I acknowledged our Legal "We're Watching You" dialog box, and then used the Event Viewer to determine when the "McAfee Endpoint Encryption Agent" service started.  In all cases where I can reproduce SSO failing, the service is starting after I login (by a few seconds).  In all cases when SSO is working, I've waited until the second computer sees that the service on the first computer has started.

I then verified that this service was required for SSO by stopping it, then locking and unlocking my computer.  The unlock was done by McAfee, but I can see it starting the service.  I then disabled the service and locked/unlocked and verified that it could not start the service (it's disabled) and I was presented with the Windows 7 logon screen instead of the McAfee logon screen, as I'd expect.

So - this may go beyond traditional Community support (I have a ticket open, this info has been added to it), but anyone know why this service is not starting up as quickly as it should, or at least why it's not developed in such a way that Windows waits for this service before starting the logon process and going through the Credential Providers?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 22 of 28

Hi Chris,

Excellent bit of detective work that confirms there is a problem with the CP starting / waiting for the EEAgent service to start - at least at first logon (in your test, the CP started it OK at unlock).  To answer one of your questions, it has been developed so that the CP should wait until it can talk with the EEAgent - in fact, because of this you will find many threads on the forum where people are experiencing a delay at logon because the Windows Service Control Manager is taking  a long time to start the EEAgent service - and the CP waits for it.

The question of course is why this is not happening for you.  You mention you have a 'legal' logon message before the logon... is it possible to disable that for a test to see if it is in any way involved?

Thanks.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 23 of 28

Looks like without the Logon Banner I lose SSO, too -- probably because now there's no delay giving the service time to start.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 24 of 28

It's not as simple as a delay - the CP starts (if necessary), queries and waits for positive confirmation that the EEAgent service is up and running and available to talk to... at least when it's working

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 25 of 28

Now if only I could get it working

Anyone else out there (who made it this far down the thread) usinga similar configuration --- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 with EEPC 6.1?

SCtbe
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 26 of 28

Hi,

Two things:

1. Have you using "samaccountname" atribute in AD users synchronization task in fields: user name and display name?

2. Have you tried disabling  "Require Endpoint Encryption logon" - just this one?

Ragards,

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 27 of 28

I have samAccountName as the user name, and displayName as the display name.  I have not disabled "Require Endpoint Encryption Logon" since this is required for Windows 7.    

SCtbe
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 28 of 28

Hi,

According to note for solution 1 in KB71003 it is better to have both fileds filled with samAccountName attribute. From my experience I know that there maybe problems with activation or SSO if these values are different (I had such support case). I know that they are not required by documentation, but it is better to have them configured to the same value.

Second thing where you got information that this option ("Require Endpoint Encryption logon") is required for SSO in Windows 7. I have machines with working SSO with this option disabled. From my expirience it is used for locking/unlocking machine.

And also my personal best practise is to disable EEPC password history if SSO and enable password change prevent option. If you using SSO then leaving default values on these option can lead to unnecesary user confusion and password desynchronization, also if you using SSO these option are realy not needed.

Regards.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community