cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G4STech
Level 7

Removable drive encryption interuppted, Unrecognizable disc Format EEPC 6.0.1

I am deploying EEPC 6.0.1 on Windows 7 using epo 4.5 for deployment.  I have setup a testing station and ran into a problem where a removable hard drive was removed during encryption status.  When I reattach the portable hard drive I receive a message from  Windows that the disc needs to be formatted.  Is it even recommended to encrypt these portable hard drives?  What is the recovery procedure for this hard drive?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
rbdudani
Level 11

Re: Removable drive encryption interuppted, Unrecognizable disc Format EEPC 6.0.1

this thread is for Managed EEM..

0 Kudos
G4STech
Level 7

Re: Removable drive encryption interuppted, Unrecognizable disc Format EEPC 6.0.1

And in which thread is it currently???

0 Kudos
rbdudani
Level 11

https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/data/epoenc

however.

Is it even recommended to encrypt these portable hard drives?

>Its depends on you, Encrypted HDDs will not be accesible except where it is encrypted.

What is the recovery procedure for this hard drive?

>1. What was the encrypted status when you removed the hdd ?

2. You can try Wintech to get data back.

0 Kudos
G4STech
Level 7

Thank you for your reply

The status was "encrypting" when drive was unplugged

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

I'm guessing this was a eSATA drive, as EEPC6 won't encrypt anything which is truly "removable" ?

0 Kudos
rbdudani
Level 11

Yes, Agreed Simon,

but may be he has configured policy to encrypt removable ...

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

I don't think EEPC6 has the option to encrypt removable drives? Please correct me if I'm wrong though - I'm more of an EEPC5 guy.

0 Kudos
rbdudani
Level 11

same here..

anyone else ?

0 Kudos
G4STech
Level 7

The policy options are:

Encrypt:     All disks

Boot only

All disks except boot disks

The status on the encryption agent showed drive c: encrypted, drive d: encrypted (internal extra drive), and drive f: encrypting (portable sata drive).  I left the computer over 3 days and it did finish with the encryption on drive f: which is when I removed the drive.  After reconnecting the drive I get the message that I need to format the drive.

0 Kudos