Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G4STech
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 24

Removable drive encryption interuppted, Unrecognizable disc Format EEPC 6.0.1

I am deploying EEPC 6.0.1 on Windows 7 using epo 4.5 for deployment.  I have setup a testing station and ran into a problem where a removable hard drive was removed during encryption status.  When I reattach the portable hard drive I receive a message from  Windows that the disc needs to be formatted.  Is it even recommended to encrypt these portable hard drives?  What is the recovery procedure for this hard drive?

23 Replies
rbdudani
Level 11
Message 2 of 24

Re: Removable drive encryption interuppted, Unrecognizable disc Format EEPC 6.0.1

this thread is for Managed EEM..

G4STech
Level 7
Message 3 of 24

Re: Removable drive encryption interuppted, Unrecognizable disc Format EEPC 6.0.1

And in which thread is it currently???

rbdudani
Level 11
Message 4 of 24

https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/data/epoenc

however.

Is it even recommended to encrypt these portable hard drives?

>Its depends on you, Encrypted HDDs will not be accesible except where it is encrypted.

What is the recovery procedure for this hard drive?

>1. What was the encrypted status when you removed the hdd ?

2. You can try Wintech to get data back.

G4STech
Level 7
Message 5 of 24

Thank you for your reply

The status was "encrypting" when drive was unplugged

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 24

I'm guessing this was a eSATA drive, as EEPC6 won't encrypt anything which is truly "removable" ?

rbdudani
Level 11
Message 7 of 24

Yes, Agreed Simon,

but may be he has configured policy to encrypt removable ...

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 24

I don't think EEPC6 has the option to encrypt removable drives? Please correct me if I'm wrong though - I'm more of an EEPC5 guy.

rbdudani
Level 11
Message 9 of 24

same here..

anyone else ?

The policy options are:

Encrypt:     All disks

Boot only

All disks except boot disks

The status on the encryption agent showed drive c: encrypted, drive d: encrypted (internal extra drive), and drive f: encrypting (portable sata drive).  I left the computer over 3 days and it did finish with the encryption on drive f: which is when I removed the drive.  After reconnecting the drive I get the message that I need to format the drive.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator