Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anawim
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Recover data from disks with RAW FS after decryption

I'm seeking help here to find a solution to recover (at least) the data in 2 disks (1 SSD with 1 NTFS partition and and 1 SATA with 1 NTFS partition and 1 FAT32 partition) installed on a HP Zbook (with Win7 and legacy BIOS) laptop that after experiencing BSOD presented the 0xc000000f error. We've decrypted the 2 HDs with the McAfee Drive Encryption Tech using the autorization code provided by the Code Generator and the Token given user's password. After something like 6 hours it successfully completed decryption even if the disks appear still not accessible with the exception of a small 2GB FAT32 partition precendetly created by HP Bios update procedure. The McAfee support so far sent us only the links to the documentaion to build the EZPE, with no other instructions. Please help!

7 Replies

Re: Recover data from disks with RAW FS after decryption

As far as I know, the data is recoverable if it was decrypted. You should stop using the computer for loading new data. Here are a few well-known programs for data recovery, you should try out by yourself and see if it works:

TestDisk - Partition Recovery and File Undelete

Disk Recovery Software and Hard Drive Recovery tool for Windows, Mac, and Linux

Best Data Recovery Software to Recover Deleted Files on Windows

anawim
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for reply, but honestly I was looking for a proper solution from McAfee that I suspect created the problem in the first place with this DE, because I still do not understand how it's possible and the reason why the FS is RAW.

McAfee Employee hhoang
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

After decrypting the original system MBR needs to be reinserted - has that been done?  If not, just click on Restore MBR in DEtech and leave the default 'Original MBR' option.

anawim
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

thank you for your proposal really attractive. Unfortunately the MBR at present is not an option as there is no way to authenticate beacuse the Token metod is not viable being already been decrypted and the File method cannot be used beacuse the xml of this machine has been deleted from the ePO server. McAfee support says there is nothing that can be done and refuse any responsability for what happened claiming the disks are faulty even if they passed HP tests and frankly it's very unlikely a BSOD causes both separate disks (OS and DATA) to get corrupted at the same time. What do you think?

McAfee Employee hhoang
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

If the drive is legitimately decrypted then you should be able to also re-insert the original MBR via Microsoft tools; i.e. boot from a Windows install CD > launch command prompt > run "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" and maybe "bootrec.exe /fixboot".

More information here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/927392/use-bootrec.exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-st...

anawim
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

thank you ​ not sure I understand you correctly but it seems to me this not applies here. I have TWO separate disks, one SSD with OS (WIN7) and one SATA with DATA and my main concern is about recovery of the content of the latter. Can you offer an explanation of what presumably happended and hence a solution?

One of the Best Data Recovery Softwares which I know are

1. Recuva
  2. TestDisk
  3. Puran File Recovery
  4. Restoration By Brian Kato
  5. Disk Drill For Windows

source:- http://merabheja.com/data-recovery-software/

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community