cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bapn
Level 7

Preboot authentication USB support is not working correctly on HP EliteBook 840 G2 with BIOS M71 01.04 and Drive Encryption 7.1.2

Hi All,

I am currently experience the issue with HP EliteBook 840 G2 with BIOS M71 01.04 and Drive Encryption 7.1.2

When the user is trying to boot up the laptop in the docking station the pre-boot authentication screen appears but the user is not able to type anything and it seems that all USB ports connections (mouse, keyboard) are not working at all and the screen freezes. Even when I removed the laptop out of the docking station it still remains in the same condition and the USB ports are not working.

When I reboot the machine and remove the laptop out of the docking station the USB devices are working fine.

Exactly the same behaviour is described in the following HP article:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5409285&docId=emr_na-c04512361&docLocale...

After checking the BIOS I can see that the user have all suggested settings as per HP article.

The only thing that I didn't test was a BIOS upgrade to the latest version and that will be my next step.

Could someone please let me know if this is a known behaviour or saw something similar before?

Many thanks,

Bart

0 Kudos
4 Replies
youngs
Level 9

Re: Preboot authentication USB support is not working correctly on HP EliteBook 840 G2 with BIOS M71 01.04 and Drive Encryption 7.1.2

We have had good luck with a couple devices by updating the BOIS... According to that link are you having the slowness of the preboot screen showing up?

We had to disable the fast boot but the latest BIOS fixed it for the HP Revolve G2.

Scott

0 Kudos
youngs
Level 9

Re: Preboot authentication USB support is not working correctly on HP EliteBook 840 G2 with BIOS M71 01.04 and Drive Encryption 7.1.2

Also forgot to mention trying going into the BIOS before the preboot screen comes up and then just exit to see if the keyboard / mouse works.

If it does then you may have to call HP support and start the process to get it fixed.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Youngs' suggestions are very good. To elaborate on them:

1. Setting fast boot to thorough ensures that all the protocols are available rather than the minimum required to load Windows

2. Booting to BIOS (UEFI setup screen) and then exiting or booting to the UEFI Boot device selection screen and selecting to HDD will initialize the KB / Mouse protocols and thusly available to the PBA application. If this works, the UEFI is likely blocking the protocol initialization request from the PBA application and will need to be addressed by HP in a UEFI firmware update.

I would also suggest testing with a fresh activaiton (not an upgrade) of MDE 7.1.3 and the newest version of the Hardware Default Product Detections XML attached to the bottom of KB81900.

0 Kudos
zzz525
Level 7

My company actually initiated this KB article with McAfee and I worked with HP engineers. You need to contact HP Support and get the BIOS update 1.05. It is a beta bios and has not been released yet, but we are running it on our M71 laptops with no issues.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB84548

0 Kudos