cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steph4n
Level 7

Password Synchronization only after initial login

I want to allow every existing user on a machine to login at the Pre-Boot Authentication with his domain password.

So I chose 'Add all previous and current local domain users of the system', enabled SSO and checked 'Must match user name' and 'Synchronize Endpoint Encryption with Windows' in the Product Settings Policy.

However, I first have to enter the default password (12345), change it to whatever i want and after that the password will get synchronized.

What am I doing wrong here? How can I get the passwords synchronized without the initial login, so that its not possible to login with the default password.

If this is 'work as intended' the option to add previous windows users isn't really suitable in my optinion.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ascoyne
Level 10

Re: Password Synchronization only after initial login

All we did was educate the end user to enter their domain password as their PBA password.

0 Kudos
steph4n
Level 7

So you don't use password synchronization? What if you change the users domain password?

How do you add additional users that can login at the PBA?

0 Kudos
ascoyne
Level 10

Our ePO policies are exactly the same as yours, so yes we have password sync and any current users and and any new users that login to the device will be added to he PBA user list.  As long as the user changes their password with ctrl+alt+del the domain and PBA password will sync. Using AD to reset a domain password will not be picked up by EEPC and you will end up with a different password in PBA to AD.

As an aside have you got ePO syncing with AD via LDAP. You need this to be setup to allow EEPC to work properly.

Useful tip - add your domain admin group to the encryption group so that any of your domain admins will be able to login on any PBA device.

0 Kudos
steph4n
Level 7

So it is possible in your case that a user who has local admin rights can add a user, wich can then login with '12345' ? This won't be acceptable.

Yes, I have configured LDAP and added myself for now to the 'Encryption Users'

0 Kudos
ascoyne
Level 10

No not possible in our case for a non domain admin to manually add a PBA user.  Firstly a user with local admin rights is not the same as a domain admin.  Secondly, the only two ways for a PBA user to be added is either a user logs onto a device and automatically gets added to the PBA database due to the setting "Add all previous and current local domain users of the system" or users gets manually added to a system via ePO.

0 Kudos
ascoyne
Level 10

This post may help with understsnd password syncing - https://community.mcafee.com/thread/33429

As a rule of thumb if the password is out of sync we ALWAYS advise our end users to do a c+a+d password reset just to be sure passwords sync.

0 Kudos
steph4n
Level 7

Helped a bit, thanks.

Our users arn't allowed to change their password 

However, the problem still is:

Existing users (users with an existing local profile) can (must) login with the default password, before the domain password gets synchronized.

0 Kudos