cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taha
Level 9

McAfee EEPC 6.x recovery using USB and making encrypted drive as a slave?

Jump to solution

I have few questions regarding EEPC 6.X recovery:

Can we use USB instead of CD/DVDto recover from EEPC 6.X?

Can we decript EEPC 6.x from a machine by making it as a slave to another machine running EEPC 6.x, if yes then how?

Can we decript EEPC 6.x from a machine by making it as a slave to another machine don't running EEPC 6.x or any other mcafee product if yes then how?

In EETech the only way to recover EEPC 6.x is by using a EEtech CD/DVD.

Thank you in advance..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: McAfee EEPC 6.x recovery using USB and making encrypted drive as a slave?

Jump to solution

1. It depends on your BIOS and your WinPE skill set - if you can boot an OS off of the USB stick, then I don't see why not, and most BIOS will boot a floppy image off a USB stick (for EETech standalone).

2. Yes/No - you can't have two drives mounted with different keys, so if you boot from the EEPC encrypted hard disk of laptop 1, you can't mount a drive from another machine. HOWEVER, if you booted the laptop off a CD WinPE image (ie, not from the encrypted hard disk), you can then mount a drive from any machine and read the data if you have access to the keys.

3. This doesnt make sense - EETech IS the recovery toolkit for EEPC6. You can of course use EETech standalone off a floppy disk, or any bootable media actually - even probably a PXE boot.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

1. It depends on your BIOS and your WinPE skill set - if you can boot an OS off of the USB stick, then I don't see why not, and most BIOS will boot a floppy image off a USB stick (for EETech standalone).

2. Yes/No - you can't have two drives mounted with different keys, so if you boot from the EEPC encrypted hard disk of laptop 1, you can't mount a drive from another machine. HOWEVER, if you booted the laptop off a CD WinPE image (ie, not from the encrypted hard disk), you can then mount a drive from any machine and read the data if you have access to the keys.

3. This doesnt make sense - EETech IS the recovery toolkit for EEPC6. You can of course use EETech standalone off a floppy disk, or any bootable media actually - even probably a PXE boot.

0 Kudos
taha
Level 9

Jump to solution

Pont number 2:

I my case I know passwords of the the encrypted drives. So if I attached my corrupt encrypted HD with my working encrypted HD as slave and then boot the system from recovery cd then I can decript any of the disks as i know the password of both the disk.

Do I need to follow any extra step or can decript any HD by typing it's password after authorization?

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

Yes as long as you boot from the WinPE CD and you select the right disk, and it's a primary disk (you can't authenticate with only a password to a 2nd drive, only a bootable drive).

0 Kudos
taha
Level 9

Jump to solution

So you mean to decript my faulty disk I need to make it primary and then start recovery process?

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

No, it needs to be the primary disk - if you have two disks in a machine encrypted, only one (the primary) can be authenticated to using a password - the 2nd drive, you need the EPO export to authenticate.

0 Kudos
taha
Level 9

Jump to solution

Sorry i didn't get what do mean by epo  export, what can I do with a crashed encrypted disk with epo export.

Actually I am talking about two different machines running EEPC. One of them goes crash. Can I recover it by placing the crashed hard as slave in other machine if yes then how? Hope you get my point..

0 Kudos
mat.kordell
Level 12

Jump to solution

No is the answer you're looking for.  You can't do that.  You have to use the EETech recovery disk.

0 Kudos
taha
Level 9

Jump to solution

I know I need to use EETech.. but Can I make my crashed disk as primary/boot (which is attached as a slave) so that I can decript it.

I just confimed that there is an option to select boot disk. By default in a system we only have disk0 which is booat partision but in case of a salve HD is attached we can have two disks disk0 and disk1. Now my understanding is that we can decript the slave disk using EETech by setting it as a boot disk i.e. disk0

0 Kudos
mat.kordell
Level 12

Jump to solution

Why not just remove the hard drive from the PC that is working, install the disk from the crashed machine and EETech it up.

0 Kudos