cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee DE 7.1.X accepts password but still fails to authenticate

Jump to solution

I'm encountering one of the strangest problems I've seen with McAfee Drive Encryption. It only affects one user on one computer, as far as I am aware. When he enters his password, The main window with the title bar "Logon" goes away and acts like it will continue to Windows, but then immediately brings up Error EE0F0001, Failed to Authenticate. If I actually enter a password that is wrong, the same error message appears but without dismissing the "Logon" window behind it. Every other user on the computer is able to log in without problems.

I know the password he is using is correct because I can check the box for "Change a password" and it will prompt for new and confirm password.

I have reset the user's token via Administrator recovery with ePO and it did not help. I completely removed encryption and upgraded from Drive Encryption 7.1.1 to 7.1.3 before re-encrypting the drive. That didn't help either.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee DE 7.1.X accepts password but still fails to authenticate

Jump to solution

It appears the user is corrupted in a way this isn't being reset with "reset token". From DE: Users query, use the "deassign users from all systems" to remove the user from the ePO database. Once the user has been removed, wakeup any system in which this user was assigned to remove the user from the preboot file system. Once the user has been removed and the systems Drive Encryption status monitor shows policy enforcement complete, the user can be reassigned.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

It appears the user is corrupted in a way this isn't being reset with "reset token". From DE: Users query, use the "deassign users from all systems" to remove the user from the ePO database. Once the user has been removed, wakeup any system in which this user was assigned to remove the user from the preboot file system. Once the user has been removed and the systems Drive Encryption status monitor shows policy enforcement complete, the user can be reassigned.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I removed the user from the specific system in question and waited for policy enforcement, then re-added him and it did not help. Is it actually necessary to remove him from all systems?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Likely yes. MDE uses timestamps to track changes. If a timestamp is corrupted (set far into the future), the value in which that timestamp tracks will never be updated. If the user is not removed from all systems, once another system contacts ePO, the value stored in ePO for the user will be updated with the corrupted data as the corrupted timestamp for the user is "newer".

Highlighted

Jump to solution

That worked! Thank you very much.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community