cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shorton928
Level 7

MDE 7.1 Recovery Key Extract

Is there a way to extract a key from SQL ePO database for MDE if it is not available through the ePO interface.  I need to recover a machine however the key does not exist in ePO.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: MDE 7.1 Recovery Key Extract

Although the keys are stored in the database, they are all encrypted using your unique ePO Public Key and must be decrypted using the ePO EEAdmin extension.

However, using the disk keycheck value, you can export the key from the ePO console if there is no recovery information attached to the machine object. The keycheck can be found for the machine by launching DETech and clicking the Disk Info button.

From the ePO System Tree, click Actions | Drive Encryption | Export recovery information based on Disk Keycheck. Enter they keycheck value and the XML recovery file will be available for download.

0 Kudos
shorton928
Level 7

Tried that received same error message, with Platinum Support on the phone.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Any chance you're looking in the wrong EPO server? Since keys are never deleted, and activation won't happen without the key being sent, it's really unusual not to have the key in EPO.

Unless of course some db rollback has occurred.

0 Kudos
shorton928
Level 7

Only thing i can think of is a DB change that would have occurred I am looking into that aspect as well.   Machine was working fine yesterday no problems.  Its last communication was the 12th with ePO wouldn't have sent the key or must i force the key again?

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Usually the machine will resend its keys if needed - this can happen for example if you delete the machine from EPO, or install a new agent pointing to a new EPO server. If you have platinum support though you should be in good hands.

shorton928
Level 7

I did install the new version of the ePO agent (5.0) would that cause an issue?

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Possibly, MA5.0 is supported, but EPO 5.0 is not - I am hoping you are using one of the supported versions of EPO still.

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Supported Platforms, Environments, and Operating Systems for Drive Encryption...

0 Kudos