cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mining
Level 9

Is there a local client log in v6?

I thought there would be a log that showed in the place where the other McAfee logs gather, but it appears not. Also nothing in the program directories.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
peter_eepc
Level 15

Re: Is there a local client log in v6?

You can turn on EE logging by placing registry entry.

Logging is enabled in 32-bit Windows by this registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee EndPoint Encryption\MfeEpeHost\Configuration]
"LoggingLevel"=dword:00000004

Log file should be by default in:

C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption Agent\MfeEpe.log

on 1/25/10 12:08:34 PM EST
0 Kudos
mining
Level 9

Thank you, Peter!

0 Kudos
kink80
Level 12

OK So a couple of things.  This needs to be in the GUI and why in the world is it not stored in the same location as EVERY other mcafee log file.

This is very amatureish.  Get it together folks!

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

It's stored in the same location as the client - that makes a lot more sense when you have 82 McAfee products, and  various products from 102 other vendors now connected into the McAfee agent infrastructure ;-)

0 Kudos
eobiont
Level 7

It may make sense to you to have one McAfee product store its log files in a different path than every other McAfee product, but it makes no sense to this customer.

Every other McAfee product known to me stores its log files in CommonAppData/McAfee/<Product Name>

Endpoint Encryption should too.  82 products.  Imagine the confusion when every product manager gets to decide on his own where to store the log files.  You think that is a better system?

I would expect to have the log files from the McAfee products store logs in a predictable location.  It is crazy that each product team gets to decide what they think is best.  Then all products should follow that model.  I should not have to know that Endpoint Encryption stores log files in the Program Files path and EVERY OTHER MCAFEE PRODUCT stores them in %CommonAppData%

Every other McAfee product stores its Install/Uninstall log files in %TEMP%/McAfeeLogs.  I can't for the life of me locate EE's installation/uninstallation logs? I sure do wish EE stored its logs where all the other McAfee products stored their logs.

It is almost like the EE developers don't even work for the same company - certainly they are not following McAfee's established program guidlines, and it is troubling that a VP would support that.

Message was edited by: eobiont on 5/26/10 3:46:28 PM GMT-06:00
0 Kudos
frecar
Level 9

Hi,

I can't find the Configuration part in the registry. Should I creat the Configuration part?

Best regards

Freddie

0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

Yes, create that key.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Hi All,

Just for anyone who reads this thread at a later point in time. We have an article to assist with enabling debug logging.

KB67529 - How to enable debug logging in Endpoint Encryption for PC 6.0

To access this article go to the McAfee ServicePortal (http://mysupport.mcafee.com) and search for KnowledgeBase article KB67529

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67529

NOTE: You can access the KnowledgeBase anonymously, but some articles are available only to logged in users

All the best.

Kevin
Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services)
KnowledgeBase: http://mysupport.mcafee.com

ServicePortal

0 Kudos
frecar
Level 9

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos