cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adamwood
Level 7

Is it possible to Authenticate though safeboot without User interaction?

Jump to solution

As a business we are able to remotely start a PC that is switched off. The snag comes when safeboot loads and is prompting for a username and password, we are unable to get though the authentication to get to windows.

Is there a process that would enable us to either bypass the authentication so that it autoboots, remotely authenticate or remotely enter a username and password without someone been physically at the machine. EG to a PC that is on our network, but on a different site and user has gone home.

We are unable to use the $autoboot$ option or any of the options that would require a Sync due to the PC only syncing when on windows

Also we are able to run Boot disks via Vpro when starting the machines is this in anyway helps.

Thank you for you time

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peter_eepc
Level 15

Re: Is it possible to Authenticate though safeboot without User interaction?

Jump to solution

You can boot Live Windows from CD/DVD, but not to local Hard disk Windows. You can have local hard disk access if you use WinTech integrated with that boot CD/DVD. But that is still not booting from hard drive Windows.

EEPC pre-boot OS (RTOS-32 or similar) does not have network capabilities.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
peter_eepc
Level 15

Jump to solution

You would need to have autoboot permanently in (and that reduces security). There is no way to communicate with machine left in pre-boot authentication screen state. It does not use network at pre-boot.

0 Kudos
Adamwood
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for you quick reply.

Is there anything that can be run before the Safeboot authentication screen appears EG A boot disk with an authentication key on it or a piece of code, that safeboot will see it and then allow access though safeboot. I am asking as we are able to make PCs boot to CD or run codes remotley when turning the PC on remotley, before safeboot appears.

Also on silghtly different angle, is it possible to run the safeboot authentication screen is Dos Mode. This is because our software that we use to remote boot a PC can only see dos and cannot view graphical, or at this stage would Safeboot still have no network connectivity rendering this useless.

If this is the case is it possible to have network connection while at the safeboot log in screen.

Sorry for all the questions

Thank you

0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

Jump to solution

I don't know much about vPro technology, but KVM in AMT v6.0 can use graphical interface in addition to text.

EEPC preboot is graphical, by design.

Also, I'm not sure if Vpro uses network NIC in "offband" mode, when PC is powered on, but not running networked OS (as pre-boot).

0 Kudos
Adamwood
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have been told that Vpro can only handle Dos so thats out

What about the Running of Scripts or CDs and network capabilites while on Pre boot as mentioned above.

Also, I'm not sure if Vpro uses network NIC in "offband" mode, when PC is powered on, but not running networked OS (as pre-boot).

Unfortunatly I do not know the answer to this question and they people who would know have gone home.

Thank you

0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

Jump to solution

Check here...

http://www.verboon.info/index.php/category/vpro/

I'm afraid that after you tell PC (remotely via vPro) to boot from local hard disk, your abilities to control keyboard end see screen end prematurely.

0 Kudos
Adamwood
Level 7

Jump to solution

Sorry last two questions

Is it possible to bypass safeboot logon with a CD so that it boots to windows

Is it possible to have network connectivity while on the safeboot screen

Thank you

0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

Jump to solution

You can boot Live Windows from CD/DVD, but not to local Hard disk Windows. You can have local hard disk access if you use WinTech integrated with that boot CD/DVD. But that is still not booting from hard drive Windows.

EEPC pre-boot OS (RTOS-32 or similar) does not have network capabilities.

0 Kudos
Adamwood
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ok thank you for you help with this you have been very helpful

Thanks

0 Kudos