cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benplan
Level 7

Invalid Time Zone Bias issue, following KB75730 but need help please!

Jump to solution

One of our laptops - Vista 32 bit with Endpoint Encryption 6.1 managed by ePO is not loading the EE login screen on boot, instead showing:

McAfee Endpoint Encryption

Fatal Error: [0xEE00000E] Invalid timezone bias

I'm following the KB from: Knowledge Center - Endpoint Encryption Fatal Error [0xEE00000E] invalid time zone bias and am trying to perform an Emergency boot Knowledge Center - How to perform an emergency boot with the Endpoint Encryption for PC 6.x EETech S... but the instructions there do not load: Knowledge Center -

Therefore I'm using Windows 7 client to create a Win7 PBE disk, but having issues with the instructions ( eepc_620_eetech_user_guide_en-us.pdf ) being vague and not actually telling you what to do explicitly. Currently stuck on the line "Copy the following EEPC files into the image from the Win32 folder found in the build." What build? I've searched for the files but can't find them either on the Win 7 PC I'm using to create the PBE, or on the ePO server.

So basically, due to the unbelievably complicated process, I'm stuck at step one. I need to get documents off this laptop urgently - it unfortunately broke just before we were able to back up the documents to the server.

Any help gratefully received - do McAfee employees help out on here, or is it worth escalating to them directly?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: Invalid Time Zone Bias issue, following KB75730 but need help please!

Jump to solution

The WinPE version of the disk cannot perform an emergency boot only the EETech standalone disk. I have attached the EETech 6.1.3 Stand Alone iso. This will need to be burned to a CD.

I highly recommend upgrading to the current version as this issue has been resolved and EEPC 6.1 is end of life.

10 Replies
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

The WinPE version of the disk cannot perform an emergency boot only the EETech standalone disk. I have attached the EETech 6.1.3 Stand Alone iso. This will need to be burned to a CD.

I highly recommend upgrading to the current version as this issue has been resolved and EEPC 6.1 is end of life.

benplan
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thankyou!

Two questions, however:

1. How does this disk know the authentication credentials for our EE users? How can I log in using it?

2. If this is the right thing, why do the instructions want me to make a a WinPE version? I've just wasted a whole day fannying around with it only to find out it's the wrong thing?

Thanks again,

Ben

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

The EETech / DETech disks allows you to authenticate either using a EE user from the preboot file system (PBFS) if the PBFS and / or MBR is not damaged or by using the recovery XML file for the machine that can be exported from ePO.

I reviewed KB71868 and KB75730 and both mention the use of the EETech Stand Alone disk. The reference in KB71868 points to the EETech User Guide which does contain instructions on how to create all recovery disks including WinPE. Because the specific instructions for the building of EETech Stand Alone for each version may change, KB71868 was not written for any specific version of EEPC.

I updated KB71868 to point to the latest version of the EETech user guide as the Product Doc link pointed to the EETech 6.0.1 version.

mike.merwin
Level 7

Jump to solution

I used your iso file and it worked great, thanks!  I got the code of the day and now am stuck at the authorization section, where do I get the recovery XML file so I can authorize and do the emergency boot?

Thanks much, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely, Mike

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

The XML file is exported from ePO by selecting the machine and clicking Actions | Drive Encryption | Export Recovery Information

0 Kudos
mike.merwin
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks.  I do not have ePO, if I purchase the software using my old account login, will my machine show up there?  Thanks again and sorry for all these questions, but this is a new realm for me and I'm just trying to do what I can to get my system back.

Thanks much and have a great day!

Sincerely, Mike

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

duplicate thread going on -

If you don't have access to the company EPO which installed this software, there is absolutely no way to recover the data. You did say in the other thread though that you had a backup.

0 Kudos
magcloud
Level 7

Jump to solution

We don't use MCAfee Endpoint Security (only McAfee agent, VirusScan and HIP) on a corporate laptops but one our computer has got the same message:

McAfee Endpoint Encryption

Fatal Error: [0xEE00000E] Invalid timezone bias

We tried to boot with EETech_6.1.3__Standalone.iso but couldn't use it because there are no xml-file exported from ePO as we don't use McAfee Endpoint Security.

An inventory list for damaged laptop doesn't contain any encryption software, I found only Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools.

Is it possible that any McAfee installed product coupled with Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools damaged the computer?

Can we use EETech_6.1.3_Standalone.iso without the XML file?

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

No it's not possible that installing a mcafee product damaged drive encryption

no you sant recover it without the USB stick that was created when you activated drive encryption

for help with HP products you need to call them - McAfee support don't have any information on the HP consumer versions

0 Kudos