cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove encrypted material from external usb hard drive, encrypted with mcafee FRP 5.0.0.243

I am assisting someone who provided their external hard drive to receive files from another party. The other party encrypted the drive with FRP 5.0.0.243. This is a 2TB hard drive, only has 2MB left of free space. There are files with unrestricted access that were on there prior. There is no issue with those. However they only tally to about 245GB. The files that I located when accessing the MfeEERM.exe app now on there only tally to about 2.5 GB. I don't see any files on there that I can't access, I also don't see the files through explorer that were previously encrypted. The person I am helping is not sure if all the files that are unaffected are all the files that were on there prior to providing the hdd to the party who encrypted it. Obviously there is over 1.5TB unaccounted for and unusable. I know reformatting is an option, but I can't find any others. Is there anyway I can verify that those are the only files that were encrypted? I cannot pull off the full 2TB as they do not have the storage elsewhere to do that. I could manage the roughly 250GB, reformat and then transfer back, but only want to do that if I am guaranteed nothing else was affected. Otherwise, would be great to have options that uninstall the app, its settings, and the encrypted content. Right now, we extremely frustrated with this.

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to remove encrypted material from external usb hard drive, encrypted with mcafee FRP 5.0.0.243

Moved to epo managed area for a better chance of answering

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: How to remove encrypted material from external usb hard drive, encrypted with mcafee FRP 5.0.0.243

The MFEEERM.exe tool gives us a hint that the drive itself and files on it are not encrypted, but a protected vault was created on the drive to contain encrypted data.

You can simply delete that vault if you no longer need it - it's probably visible if you view hidden files. If I remember correctly, the extension is .dsk

That was what I thought to do based on what I was finding before this post. I cannot locate the .dsk file even after viewing hidden files.

I launch the application and it shows me the protected content, but I am not finding a container that would be holding this content.

Any idea of the file structure that would help me understand what's going on? Would the container really just fill up all of the unused space on the drive for encrypting 2.5 GB of data?  Or maybe the people who wanted the data protected are just not using the software effectively?

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Look for hidden system files in a command prompt

Yes it's designed to fill the drive to stop the user copying files to the unprotected space.

The storage is still available, just in the vault.

The easier way to achieve this is:

1. Plug the USB drive on a system which can decrypt it.
  2. Backup the content of the key
  3. Use the OS system format command

At my knowledge, it's the only way to achieve this.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator