cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bc23
Level 7

How to recover data from corrupted thumbdrive (EERM)

Hi,

I have a work thumbdrive encrypted with EERM. Recently when I pulled it from a PC without "safely removing device", it became corrupted & now asks me to format the media everytime I try to access it. As the data is very important to me, I would appreciate any help to recover it.

I managed to "recover" 2 files via EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard but one is a GZIP & the other a MPG. I don't know how else to proceed, please help!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: How to recover data from corrupted thumbdrive (EERM)

Moved to enterprise encryption from consumer.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

I have a work thumbdrive encrypted with EERM. Recently when I pulled it from a PC without "safely removing device", it became corrupted & now asks me to format the media everytime I try to access it. As the data is very important to me, I would appreciate any help to recover it.

Is Windows asking you to format the USB stick, or the encrypted volume? It's very important you distinguish between the two. What were the file names of the two files?

I am guessing it was the entire stick which was corrupted?

0 Kudos
bc23
Level 7

Hi thanks for responding.

Windows is asking to format the entire stick. It detects it as RAW data, chkdsk cannot be run on it.

When I try to access the drive, Windows says: "You need to format the disk in drive X: before you can use it"

followed by a message: "X:\ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

The 2 files are:

FILE000.GZ

FILE000.MPG

But I believe they are generated by the data recovery software.

PS: I suspect my problem may be due to someone else clicking on "Scan & Fix" when I was not at the PC (it was a shared PC).

This issue was mentioned at:

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Endpoint Encryption for Removable Media protected device becomes unusable aft...

I'll be trying to contact my IT to see if they can assist with the solution mentioned in above link, but I don't know if it'll recover my data.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

In that case, I think your data is lost, unless the data recovery program is guessing at the file names - what size are they? does either of them look like it could be the encrypted volume?

0 Kudos
bc23
Level 7

Crap....

FILE000.GZ     - 195MB

FILE000.MPG     - 3.6GB  <-- I'm guessing this is the encrypted file.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

maybe - unless you recognise the size of the other one, it might be as well.

I would find another encrypted usb stick and take a look - the volume files have a specific name (I can't remember them off the top of my head) - if you rename your files the same, and copy the executable across it might work.

0 Kudos
dominique657
Level 7

Recovering deleted data from damaged USB stick is very simple. For detail process of lost file recovery on USB stick, one tutorial is shared here. Just have a look.

http://youtu.be/QvGXLClEtkMhttp://youtu.be/QvGXLClEtkM
0 Kudos