Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How to decrypt files from Android/USB?

I have my personal Android phone with SD card, and enabled option to connect to PC as USB stick. I often plug my phone to my work PC where some McAfee security software was installed recently. I say "some" because I don't know exactly software name, there are so many McAfee packages, that I am completely lost in them (EEFF, EERM, EEPC, etc..). All I know is that software somehow encrypted my files on Android phone, so now every file extension is ended with " *" (jpg *, mp3 *, doc *,...)  and in the header of each file I see "Type: This file was ecnrypted with McAfee Endpoint Ecryption for Files and Folders - If you see this message you must not edit or save this file, doing so will irretrievably corrupt the file... Version 3.0.0, KeyUid..., ProviderId: McAfee ePO"

The files are not accesible, I can't open photos, play mp3s and so on, simple rename on extension doesn't help. So my question is how to deal with that situation? Is it possible to decrypt files at home, or should I use my work PC? What are the steps to decrypt/recover them? And how to avoid such situation in future?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 20

Re: How to decrypt files from Android/USB?

I wonder if moving this thread to 'Mobile Products' will better enhance the chance of receiving more exposure and assistance?

McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

The files were likely encrypted using File and Removable Media Protection. Because the device was detected a removable media, a prompt would have been displayed and the option to encrypt the device was selected. There is no way to decrypt these files from home. You will need to contact you IT department to enable the option to allow you to decrypt the files.

0 Kudos

Can you tell me what need to be enabled by IT Department. I am also facing same issue and my IT Department is not aware about it.

0 Kudos