cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone done a successful Emergency Boot?

I've been an EEPC user since 5.1.3 and with v5 I never once out of dozens of EBoots had an issue.  I would boot off recovery, hit emergency boot, login to Windows, sync and be good.  I don't think I've had a successful emergency boot with V6 yet.  I've always had to use a token (the XML File), which I kind of expect since the PbFs/SbFs is likely corrupt if I'm at the point of Emergency Boot, but when I try to Emergency Boot I'm told the product can't eboot (something like: "No disk information has been found on the boot disk...").  Am I just hitting some really bad off machines here, doing something wrong, or is it just not as good as it used to be?

Chris

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Has anyone done a successful Emergency Boot?

If the disk info has been broken, you won't be able to do an eBoot with either v5 or v6 - both depend on the disk info being intact, but the pre-boot does not have to work.

later versions of EETech have an option to go search for the disk info if the hook in the MBR is missing - something you didnt have with v5.

0 Kudos

Thanks Simon -- the disks must just be breaking to a more unrecoverable state these days.  The search doesn't get me anywhere, it sits for 5-10 minutes and then says it can't find it.  Since I can still get to the disk (using WinPE), any way to force a rebuild using another tool or manually?  Might be moving slightly outside the bounds of support ;-)

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

No, you can't rebuild the disk information if it's missing unfortunately. What's corrupting the disk info though? Are you getting hit by a root kit or something?

0 Kudos

Unfortunately I can't tell because we've been backing up & rebuilding to fix issues that take us this far.

If I can authenticate using the recovery XML, why wouldn't it let me bypass pre-boot and completely rebuild the PbFs (SbFs) like the old days?

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

it would, if the disk information was intact - it tells EEPC what is and isn't encrypted. It's kind of essential.

0 Kudos