cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forgotten Windows 7 Password but do remember endpoint encryption password

I have a laptop running Windows 7.1 enterprise with endpoint encryption. I hadn't turned on the machine for about 4 years but recently realized I needed some data from the disk. I remember the encryption password and am able to get to the Windows login but after exhausting every possible password I can think of I cannot get in to recover my data. Is it possible to install endpoint encryption on another machine, then connect the disk from this old laptop to it and access my data?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Forgotten Windows 7 Password but do remember endpoint encryption password

There are lots of guides on the web regarding retrieving Windows 7 lost Admin passwords.

This one seems pretty good:   If you forget your Windows admin password, try this | PCWorld

You'll need a Windows 7 Repair Disc which can be made on any Windows 7 PC or a DVD-R - equipped laptop. (Click pic to enlarge)

Or if your have your original System disc then use that.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos

Hi Peter, thank you for the suggestion. I have tried this many times and the issue is that the recovery cannot "see" my disk because it is encrypted. I need an option that allows me to enter the encryption password that I do remember.

Steve

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I will ask a moderator to intervene here.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Discussion successfully moved from Support Forums to Encryption: ePO Managed

For better assistance and better exposure.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Use a DETech recovery disk to decrypt and remove Drive Encryption from the disk. More information can be found in the DETech User Guide.

0 Kudos

Thank you for the assistance. I tried "Add DETech or DEOpalTech to a WinPE 32-bit CD/DVD" but I couldn't get thru it successfully. I really tried to work thru it but it might be a little beyond me. I was able to "Create DETech standalone bootable disk" and boot the problem system from it but authenticate with token fails before prompting me for the user name and encryption password (error opening file in pre-boot file system) and I have no way to get the daily code for authorization.

Do you have any other suggestions based on this or do you need more information? If not, do you know of a pay service that will do this for me?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
easlery
Level 7

Even if you remember endpoint encryption password , but you still have trouble logging on to your computer ,the Windows still ask you to enter your login password ,

To login into your Windows password , you need to find a way to recover or bypass the login password ,

Here's a detailed tutorial : How to Reset Windows 7 Password in 3 Ways if You Forgot or Lost it

0 Kudos