Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcox8
Level 10

Fatal Error 0xEF000008 Help

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am receiving the following error when enabling encryption on a laptop for my user. The only information I can find via searching is that the SATA controller in the bios is not set to AHCI but unfortunately there is no option in the bios to change this. Below are the details of the system in question.

Error: "Fatal Error: [0xEF000008] Failed to load cryptographic module

Laptop:  Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 2

BIOS: Have tried version 1.12 and 1.13.  Set to Legacy mode and NOT UEFI

ePO: 4.6.5

Agent: 4.6.3

EEPC: Have tried 7.0.2 and 7.0.3

Hard Drive:  256 GB SSD OPAL drive

After I get the error I have to boot to EEOpalTech and remove EE. After that I can get back into Windows. But if I try to encrypt it I get the above error. I have searched everywhere in the BIOS but cannot find a way to change the SATA controller. Ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tcox8
Level 10

Re: Fatal Error 0xEF000008 Help

Jump to solution

Looking at the very short list of supported OPAL drives I can say that this drive is not supported. My drive is a LITEONIT LGT-256M6G. I guess this is what I get when the President of the University orders a non-standard configuration of our choice of laptops.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

If you are using opal mode, did you confirm the drive is indeed supported?

0 Kudos
tcox8
Level 10

Jump to solution

Looking at the very short list of supported OPAL drives I can say that this drive is not supported. My drive is a LITEONIT LGT-256M6G. I guess this is what I get when the President of the University orders a non-standard configuration of our choice of laptops.

0 Kudos
tcox8
Level 10

Jump to solution

I have submitted a PER as per the KB article.

0 Kudos