cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nate.hall
Level 9

Endpoint Encryption with eSata Drives

I just want to make sure I correctly understand how this works. With the Endpoint Encryption it will automatically start encrypting hard disks. We have external hard drives and since they are eSata they show up as Hard Disk Drives and not Devis with Removable Storafe. So if I plug one of these drives into my laptop it will automatically encrypt. Now if I unplug this encrypted hard drive and plug it into another one of my computers (desktop, home PC etc) I can not access it since it's encrypted.

Am I missing something here? This has totally rendered the external hard drive pointless. Is there not a way to encrypt it with a password so that it can be accessed on any other machine?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Endpoint Encryption with eSata Drives

Yes, but that's a different product - endpoint encryption for file/folder has a removable media encryption option.

With eepc, it is designed to protect hard disks, not removable drives. If your eSATA controller does not flag them as removable, the OS will just assume they are standard fixed disks and (depending on policy) will encrypt them.

0 Kudos
nate.hall
Level 9

We are using all Dell latitude E6420s, apparently the SATA controller in these laptops does not flag them as removable. Is there anything we can do to fix this?

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Maybe dell have a bios update that corrects this misbehavior?

Otherwise, the admin would have to select something other than "encrypt all drives" if they are happy to allow unprotected storage.

0 Kudos
nate.hall
Level 9

I'm not sure this is a "misbehavior". PGP recognizes it fine, McAfee does not. If you see the image below from the Intel Rapid Storage on my laptop is shows it as external:

eSata.jpg

The problem is not with the encrypt all drives options. The problem is that we can not use Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders with it since it does not see it as removable media. We would like to use EEFF since it IS removable media.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

You can use eeff, just right click the folder and encrypt it. Eerm is probably not the best option for removable hard disks, perhaps use standard eeff encryption instead?

0 Kudos
foliveir
Level 11

Hello,

Regarding the esata showing up as fixed disks see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979344 for a solution.

HTH,

Fausto

0 Kudos
nate.hall
Level 9

I do not have the Encrypt option. I"ve tried it with an eSATA and USB

Encyrpt.jpg

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

I expect "allow explicit encrypt" is disabled in the policy then?

0 Kudos
nate.hall
Level 9

Thanks for your help SafeBoot! I now have the encrypt option but I don't have any keys to select. I've gone through all of the policies but I can't find anything to enable the keys

Key.jpg

0 Kudos