cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecardanha
Level 7

Endpoint Encryption v6.0.2 - Disk Encryption Interupted by Agent Communcation

We are testing v6.0.2 as a possible upgrade from v5.2.5, and currently when I encrypt a machine it seems to get pretty far through and then Agent/Server Commucation kicks off at the default 60 minutes and causes the process to sort of start all over.  Is there a setting or a way I can make the Agent not try to do the Agent/Server Communcation during the initial Encryption process short of going in and hard setting it to something greater and then needing to remember to put it back afterwards?  It is causing us to see around 4 hours for the inital Encryption compared to v5.2.5 which we see around 1 1/2 hours or so.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
peter_eepc
Level 15

Re: Endpoint Encryption v6.0.2 - Disk Encryption Interupted by Agent Communcation

From what observation did you conclude that "process starts all over"?

Which process?

0 Kudos
jmcleish
Level 13

Re: Endpoint Encryption v6.0.2 - Disk Encryption Interupted by Agent Communcation

Actually, I think i have seen this too.

Using v6.0.1 and on the two machines that i'm testing i leave the encrytion status window open to check progress during encryption. However, i find that the progress bar seems to go back to the start and I didn't understand why this happened but now I think that your reason about the agent communication could be correct.

Not at work just now, so will check this tomorrow.

0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

So that progreess indicator reset during sync, may be just "cosmetic" bug.

I have seen this in EEPC 5.x too. It does not make encryption slower or faster, just resets progress bar.

Confusing indeed.

0 Kudos
ecardanha
Level 7

not certain if it is just a cosmetic bug or the cause of it taking longer.  I see the same thing occur with v5.2.5 but for the same machine it takes between 1 1/2 hours and 1 3/4 hours to fully encrypt where as with v6.0.2 it takes over 4 hours to encrypt the same drive.  I was hoping the newer product would add features and keep the same window for the full drive encryption, not double it.  I feel like we are going backwards heading torwards the days of v4.  I do find that when the policy doesn't keep reseting things that the progress of encrypting improves a little.  I did a machine today and only mid encrypting set that and it brought the time down by 30 minutes or so to around 3 1/2 hours.  I will have to decrypt a drive and change that time window and start the full encrypt to see what time it takes.  I have seen it reset with v5 but the length it takes to encrypt with v5 still may change by 5 or 10 minutes plus or minus but not much where v6 is now almost 4 hours, trying to cut that down.

Message was edited by: ecardanha on 11/10/10 8:57:23 PM CST
0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

Are you comparing encryption times (6.0.2 and 5.x) on identical hardware and software (with exception of EEPC, of course)?\

If you disconnect network (to prevent syncs), does it complete faster?

0 Kudos
ecardanha
Level 7

Correct I'm comparing the initial full disk encryption times from when I first load the product on and then the initial encrypt occurs till the machine is fully encrypted and at a usable state to hand over the machine to a user.  I have been running these tests on my work laptop with both versions to make sure I get good benchmarks to compare times.  That will be my next test is to decrypt my laptop and try re-encrypting off the network to see if it still causes interupts in the process and how the times compare.  I just figured I'd check on here to see if others were seeing the same and how others were addressing it.

0 Kudos
kink80
Level 12

That is pretty interesting I guess I never took the time to compare the encryption times. I too thought it was just a cosmetic bug. I did notice in a Vista machine that the progress bar stays when the Agent communication occurs.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

the progress bar shows the progress of the current job, not how much of the drive is encrypted, so it always starts at 0% after every asic/sync (on both 5 and 6).

it shows you the progress of what's left to do in effect.

0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

If progress bar restarts, then this is a bug. But that was not really OP's concern, total encryption time was, compared with EEPC v5.x.

0 Kudos