cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mnovelle
Level 9

Encrypting a HP DL360G4p server

Jump to solution

Has anyone encrypted a HP DL360G4p server with DE 7.1 yet?  For compliance reasons I need to encrypt this server currently running WIndows Server 2003 SP2 32-bit.  It does have hardware RAID enabled but configured with a single 32GB C: partition.

I haven't encrypted any servers up to this point so just looking for any gotchas or issues I should look out for.  It appears that Server 2003 SP2 32-bit is a supported OS for DE 7.1.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Encrypting a HP DL360G4p server

Jump to solution

Good - glad you are wanting security, not just "compliance".

Now, re your server - yes, it should work fine. EEPC supports your OS, and as far as HW raid is concerned, it should look like a normal hard disk, it's not even a very big hard disk.

The problem comes with disaster recovery - if it turns out the HW RAID is not so perfect, it can make data recovery difficult/impossible - DR requires the drive to either be supported by the BIOS (so booting off a DOS floppy shows you your 32GB Drive, or that you know how to put the RAID drivers in WinPE (not hard, but obscure knowledge).

As long as your server is backed up I don't think you will have a problem. I would approach it in three phases though.

1. Install EEPC, but don't activate (OS check)

2. Activate, but don't encrypt (pre-boot/BIOS stability check)

3. Encrypt.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

You're going to enable pre-boot yes?

0 Kudos
mnovelle
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes, I understand it wouldn't be very secure without enabling pre-boot.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

Good - glad you are wanting security, not just "compliance".

Now, re your server - yes, it should work fine. EEPC supports your OS, and as far as HW raid is concerned, it should look like a normal hard disk, it's not even a very big hard disk.

The problem comes with disaster recovery - if it turns out the HW RAID is not so perfect, it can make data recovery difficult/impossible - DR requires the drive to either be supported by the BIOS (so booting off a DOS floppy shows you your 32GB Drive, or that you know how to put the RAID drivers in WinPE (not hard, but obscure knowledge).

As long as your server is backed up I don't think you will have a problem. I would approach it in three phases though.

1. Install EEPC, but don't activate (OS check)

2. Activate, but don't encrypt (pre-boot/BIOS stability check)

3. Encrypt.

0 Kudos
mnovelle
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks!  That worked for me!

0 Kudos