cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 22

EliteBook 8560w encrypted disk - boot error "mcafee Fatal Error 0xEE020006 Getting Disk info"

Jump to solution

I have this notebook, p/n XX058AV. The hard drive is encrypted by HP Protect Tools (Drive Encryption, powered by McAfee). A few days ago the notebook stopped at boot with the text "mcafee endpoint encryption Fatal Error 0xEE020006 Getting Disk info" on black screen. What I should make to boot a notebook or to decrypt HDD? I have backed up the encrypting keys.

McAfee offers disk decryption by boot CD (McAfee EETech). I made bootable CD, but the "Code of the day" from McAfee there is required, but I don't have this code.

Russian McAfee support told me that this code shall be provided to me by the HP because the McAfee Enterprise Encryption (named HP Protect Tools Drive Encryption) is bought as a part of a notebook from HP. Russian HP support couldn't help me anything, they can't provide me "Code of the day". US HP support also can't provide me "Code of the day".

I haven't Gant Number from McAfee and I can't generate "Code of the day".

Pls help me. Some ideas ?

--

WBR,

Arcady

on 5/4/12 7:41:37 AM CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 22

Re: EliteBook 8560w encrypted disk - boot error "mcafee Fatal Error 0xEE020006 Getting Disk info"

Jump to solution

You are going to have to work with Hp then - it would seem their tool is very different to the mcafee one.

Sorry, theres nothing we can really do here, it's simply not our software.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: EliteBook 8560w encrypted disk - boot error "mcafee Fatal Error 0xEE020006 Getting Disk info"

Jump to solution

Start here - https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3338

If you are using the v6 based version of HP's product, then the cd you have made won't help - EETech does not support that version.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 22

Jump to solution

Hello SafeBoot,

TU for your answer, I'll try to connect/call HP support on this issue. And I don't know version of EEPC on my laptop, I assumed that EEPC (HP PT) is version 6, as has recently purchased a laptop.

Once the HP support will answer me something, I'll write an answer here and close my topic.

--

WBR,

Arcady

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 22

Jump to solution

The version is 6.1.

I found bootable disk from HP named DiskTech2011 based on EEtech.

At a choice of encryption key (HP .DAT file) I receive the same error " EE020006 Endpoint Encryption disk Information not present".

Two hidden HP partitions on the disk (HP recovery and HP tools) are shown correctly.

Any ideas ?

--

WBR,

Arcady_ru

SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Jump to solution

as per the doc - call HP, this is NOT a McAfee product unfortunately. You won't be able to use the automated features of EETech if your disk info (boot information) is broken - you'll need to use the manual processes.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 22

Jump to solution

TU for your answer.

I'm trying to get HP support, but they (HP support Russia) can't help.

For example, see post from HP customer (US HP support):

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-Compaq-Slate/ProBook-6560b-recovery-disk-for-drive-...

How I can make restoration manually by McAfee EETech/HP DiskTech ? Send me please links to McAfee documentation about manual data restore by EETech, I'll try to restore data from HDD (SATA SSD in my case).

TU in advance,

--

WBR,

Arcady_RU

SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Jump to solution

again - this is NOT a McAfee product - we really can't help you here - you need to speak to HP.

I don't even know what features DiskTech2011 has, but if it's based on EETech, you should be able to load up your recovery key and do a manual decryption of the sector ranges on your drive?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 22

Jump to solution

I understood the sentence "McAfee EE is not HP Drive Encryption"..

Which actions do you perform, if such situation would happen when using  McAfee EE and EETech?  I load up the key, but the encrypted disk isn't mounted.

--

WBR,

Arcady_RU.

SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Jump to solution

That's usually all you need to do - you might need to open some sectors in the workspace and see if you have the right key file - test decrypt them (in memory only!) to see if they decrypt right.

If the disk info is broken, you'll have to use the crypt sectors features to decrpyt the correct partition ranges.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 22

Jump to solution

TU for your answer.

HP's

DiskTech2011 offers to select encryption key (DAT file) only, then it shoult automatically mount encrypted disk. In my case it is impossible

If I use EETech,  I have possibility to choose a mode/way of restore.

HP is **XX

--

WBR,

Arcady_RU

P.S. I can provide you HP's DiskTech2011 for testing purposes.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community