cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
33pc@dm1n
Level 8

EEPC/DE on Dell Venue Tablet

Looking for anyone out there who has a Dell Venue Tablet, with EEPC and/or DE installed, with functional touch screen keyboard for some advice/guidance. 

Business wants a Tablet option for traveling sales associates and the Dell venue is an option, however, after much difficulty, we still cannot get the McAfee Encryption to function properly. Our environment is the following;

Current Production

EPO 4.6.4

EEPC 7.0.1.354

EEPC 7.0.2.396

Windows 8.1

-----------

Dev Test 1

EPO 4.6.7

DE 7.0

Windows 8.1

-------------

Dev Test 2

EPO 5.1

DE 7.0

Windows 8.1

Firstly, we ran the McAfee Tablet Tool. The tablet tool passed, however, EEPC Preboot will not function. EEPC .354 wouldnt even activate. Claimed incompatible UEFI architechture. EEPC .396 would activate but the preboot would only function with an external usb keyboard while attached to the docking base. The external mouse however, would not function at all.

Have opened multiple support tickets with McAfee. The first ticket we were informed that it was only going to function with DE 7 and NOT EEPC. So we built an entirely fresh dev environment with EPO 4.6.7 and DE 7.  Had some issues with getting users assigned and the SSO to sync, but eventually got it working. Still no touch screen support even with the policy forcing the on-screen keyboard.  Decided to upgrade to EPO 5.1 and do a fresh upgrade to DE 7.0 to see if that would make a difference and still the same outcome.

Next ticket opened, we were informed that other "customers" had implemented this same model laptop with no issues. I find this hard to beleive and feel as though I am getting blown off. So, now I am reaching out to the community to provide me some guidance, advice or confirmation on this issue occuring.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
odedb
Level 9

Re: EEPC/DE on Dell Venue Tablet

I'm using the Dell Venue Tablet encrypted with DE 7.0 and managed by ePO 5.1

I haven't tried the on screen keyboard, but I can tell that when not forcing the keyboard to appear it is indeed not there. I haven't tried enforcing it so I can't tell if that options works.

Having said that, I'm using a new feature of DE 7.0 and that's TPM autoboot... Take a look at https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-5520

It is SO MUCH better than on screen keyboard which even if would have come up is too small for tablet use.

The Dell Venue has TPM 2.0 so this feature allows to boot without pre-boot authentication prompt, and the drive encryption key is still protected by TPM. To complement that I'm using Reactive Boot so if someone tries to brute force or guess the Windows login and got it wrong for, say 3 times, the system restarts and then prompting for pre-boot password which will require a USB keyboard.

0 Kudos
JayMan
Level 10

I don't have a Venue, but i've gone through similar pain with the Dell XPS12 and after about 4 months &  MANY emails between myself, Dell Support & McAfee (and sending one of our XPS12's to McAfee engineering in UK); Dell have released firmware A04 which in combination of EEPC 7.0.3 addresses the issues between the 2 products.

I suggest contacting Dell Support & advised them to check that the required protocols are enabled in the Venue UEFI environment. If they are unable to help directly, perhaps suggest exchanging Dell & McAfee SR details and have them work together on resolving the issues.

Cheers

Edit: I assume you are already running the latest public firmware on the Venue?

Message was edited by: JayMan on 16/02/14 4:20:30 PM
0 Kudos
33pc@dm1n
Level 8

Thanks for the advice Everyone. Our Desktop Engineer is already working with Dell & Intel on the firmware side. We'll have to look into the TPM idea, but at least its an option maybe worth pursuing.

Thanks AGain!

0 Kudos
JayMan
Level 10

Good Luck... I'd be interested to hear how you go as I've got a team requesting these devices also. Apparently the XPS12 is too big & heavy (meanwhile its 1/3 of the size/weight of their previous Lenovo bricks).

0 Kudos
johlee991
Level 9

0 Kudos