cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taha
Level 9

EEPC 6.x recover two identical machines with same policies and encryption user as Primary slave within windows (without EETech etc)

Jump to solution

There is a sanrio..

we have identical machines and both encrypted with the same policy and encryption users are same and group name etc.

If I remove HD from one of the machine due to corruption and placed it as a slave in other system. Now on booting and log on to the working machine can I decript the faulty HDD from epo in any way. I know we can do it by from EETech CD  but I want to know will the recovery be possible in above sanrio where encryption users and policy is same.

Thank You

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: EEPC 6.x recover two identical machines with same policies and encryption user as Primary slave within windows (without EETech etc)

Jump to solution

If the machine you are slaving the drive on is also protected with EEPC, No - you have to use an EETech CD

It's really simple - if you authenticate through EEPC pre-boot, you can ONLY access drives related to that pre-boot.

Every machine has a unique key.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: EEPC 6.x recover two identical machines with same policies and encryption user as Primary slave within windows (without EETech etc)

Jump to solution

If the machine you are slaving the drive on is also protected with EEPC, No - you have to use an EETech CD

It's really simple - if you authenticate through EEPC pre-boot, you can ONLY access drives related to that pre-boot.

Every machine has a unique key.

0 Kudos
taha
Level 9

Jump to solution

Understood and agreed....

In case I use the same sanrio and use EETech bootable CD, now if I need to decript the slave then I will set the slave drive as a boot drive and perform the recovery steps. Right?

0 Kudos
mat.kordell
Level 12

Jump to solution

That's correct.

I recommend pulling all other drives from the system so there is no chance of getting confused and editing the wrong drive.

It happened to one of our consultants the other day, luckly it was a freshly built computer so it wasnt a big loss,  he was having trouble with the encryption on a drive that had been previously encrypted on a different system so he was going to zero out the first few thousand sectors on the drive and since he had two drive in the machine he ended up getting the wrong one and killed his OS drive.

0 Kudos