Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

EEFF 4.3 issue in diffrent environment/domain

Working with EEFF for some time now I use it to encrypt USB Key and it's installed on all workstations in my production network. I also have it install on an isolated network for secret data.

Secret Network

ePO 5.1

EEFF 4.3.0

Production In the process to be decommission

ePO4.6.8

EEFF 4.2

Production New ePO Server; will replace the existing ePO

ePO 5.1.1

EEPC 4.3.1

Now I am upgrading agents from ePO 4.6.8 to 5.1.1 and they get EEPC updated at same time to 4.3.1 now here the issue I am getting.

EEPC doesn't recognise what platform it came from and automatically update the Secret network key from 4.3.0 to 4.3.1 on the production workstation and after that the data can only be read on the secret network.

What I had to do to fix this remove EEPC on affected users in production reformat the key and reinitialize it. Then on a change window upgrade Secret network to 4.3.1 now they play well as they are now the same version. until it's time to upgrade again. where is that key going to be connected to first. I can see this being and big issue.

I was told by McAfee; That's how it work and there is not plan to fix this.

What if you leave with a special presentation to an other country and plug your key in their computer with a newer version of EEPC and now you don't have access to your data anymore because it automatically updated your key to the latest version.

BTW this is my first post

5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: EEFF 4.3 issue in diffrent environment/domain

Moved from Consumer to Business > Encryption: ePO Managed for better handling.

---

Peter

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

I am assuming that the reference is to EEFF throughout. So you upgraded machines to 4.3.1, inserted USB sticks which auto updated and you can't read those encrypted USB sticks anymore? Is this correct? Is there any error message that you see when you try to authenticate? What happens if you try accessing through the offsite application, the .exe application? Does that work well?

Can you check if this KB article is relevant in this case?: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB83095

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 4 of 6

Yes EEFF

its more like if I go to your network with my key and your network has a more recent version of EEFF and it updates the key automatically then my password doesn't work anymore. The only way to get my files is to come back to my network backup the files(because the password works only on my network at this point) reformat the key. no error message.

EEFF should have a way to know that it doesn't belong to a specific network/ePO and not update.

Thanks

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

It doesn't have anything to do with network/ePO etc. Did you have a chance to check the KB article and see if it is relevant?

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

I don't have an issue with EEFF on my ePO/network. I have an issue when someone leave my organisation with his presentation to another organisation that I don't administer and they also have EEFF installed with a newer version and when the client connects his encrypted key it get updated and then unusable.

This is y McAfee should have something to identifier what ePO the key is from to avoid being updated from an other ePO server.

I understand I need to update my system to the latest version and I did.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community