cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwebb
Level 9

EEFF 4.0 (EERM) Wipe of data on USB stick after X incorrect password attempts

I think I already know the answer to this one, but I have been asked to post this anyway...

Just wondering if there is anyway that EEFF 4.0's EERM could be enabled to wipe a USB stick (or to be specific the encrypted container on the USB stick) if the password is entered incorrectly for X amount of times (X being a predefined number of times set on the EPo Server). Basically a self destruct feature, without the hardware combusting... It would of course require the "You have X attempts left before your data is wiped" message to be displayed if the feature was enabled. 

If this is already in the pipline is there a "vote it up" page, as this is something we would really like to see.

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: EEFF 4.0 (EERM) Wipe of data on USB stick after X incorrect password attempts

It's not really enforceable, as the user could simply copy the container off the stick, try a few times, and then copy it back and repeat.

0 Kudos
mwebb
Level 9

Re: EEFF 4.0 (EERM) Wipe of data on USB stick after X incorrect password attempts

That's a good point. So you are saying that  there would need to be an option to prevent the container from being copied or moved, to enable the enforcement of a rule to wipe the container after x failed password attempts?

Sounds like I'm asking for too much here!

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

you can't enforce anything without some software running on every machine preventing the copy, or support by the hardware itself - it's not possible, think about it - I can plug that stick into anything, even a digital camera - what's to stop me copying the file then?

If you need something like this, then you need to be using our hardware encrypted USB sticks - they prevent this kind of malarky.

0 Kudos