cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doktorbanner
Level 9

Drive Encryption 7.1 Client Unmanaged

I have searched for a proper location for this discussion but have not been able to find it so I am posting here.  I currently have ePO managed DE 7.1 operating properly, however we have many clients that will need to be encrypted and unmanaged.  I have followed the instructions located in the McAfee documents and have successfully been able to encrypt a client in an offline/unmanaged state.  The issue I have is that I cannot see the McAfee Agent Status Tray, which is preventing me from seeing the actual encryption status.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
avinash34
Level 12

Re: Drive Encryption 7.1 Client Unmanaged

Hello doktorbanner,

if the machine is managed by the ePO , type the following command in the command prompt with administrative privilege on the client machine

go to the following path

for a 64bit machine : c:\program files (x86)\mcafee\common framework

for a 32bit machine : c:\program files\mcafee\common framework

and type cmdagent.exe /s

you can see the agent in the system tray

doktorbanner
Level 9

Thank you for the reply, however the issue is with unmanaged clients.

0 Kudos
rmetzger
Level 14

doktorbanner wrote:

Thank you for the reply, however the issue is with unmanaged clients.

Hi Doktorbanner,

Give 's suggestion a try. The McAfee Agent (cmdagent.exe, common framework, etc.) should still be installed and available regardless of whether the client system is managed or unmanaged. (In unmanaged state, the agent does not refer to an ePO server, but is still there. For unmanaged VSE, the agent typically refers to McAfee sites for DAT updates.)

Let us know the results.

Ron Metzger

0 Kudos
doktorbanner
Level 9

Prior to his reply I had tried that several times.  I am very familiar with that process due to the need for it when RDP'ing to machines within our managed environment.  The command does not work in this unmanaged instance.  The McAfee agent as you mentioned are installed but when running the command nothing occurs.

0 Kudos
rmetzger
Level 14

Not sure then. Perhaps the agent is not running, or the console is not running at Administrator level.

(Sorry, for giving info that you may already know, as I wouldn't know your knowledge level, nor others who may be reading this thread.)

Ron Metzger

0 Kudos
doktorbanner
Level 9

Oh I understand why you and Avinash provided the information and I do appreciate it.  I would have given someone else the same type of info as well.  In the mean time I will check to ensure the Agent is running.  If my memory is correct, it was but I might have missed it.

0 Kudos