cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_bk
Level 9

Does the FRP 4.3 supports windows servers?

i was trying to install th FRP on a windows servers and it was failing. am a little bit confused in the kbs mentioned that its supported. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
newag
Level 7

Re: Does the FRP 4.3 supports windows servers?

m_bk
Level 9

hi

that is right but McAfee KnowledgeBase - Network File Shares with Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders and File a... says:

Provides full support for Windows Server, NetApp, Samba, and EMC network file shares.

can you explain it for me? please

thanks

0 Kudos
nchakrap
Level 11

What is the use case in this instance? Can you please detail it? Installation of FRP on Windows Servers is unsupported. However, files/folders on network file shares can be encrypted by Windows clients running FRP.

This can be achieved by -

• Configuring a “folder encryption policy” with
    • Folder pointing to the network share location
    • Encryption key with which the folder needs to encrypted
  • Assigning the “folder encryption policy” and “encryption key” (via Grant Key policy) to users, user groups (or systems) who need to have access to the encrypted folder

This POC guide may be useful especially the section around “Folder Encryption for HR share”: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-4473

Page 18 onwards give some guidance on best practices around encryption for files/folders on network shares, hope this information helps: https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/25000/PD25077/en_US/...

Hope this information is helpful.

m_bk
Level 9

hi Naveen,

i read this POC guide and implemented, but let me tell you about my scenario, please:

i have two servers on different regions, we want to move files from source server to destination server, using SFTP(daily automated process no human intervention), once the file arrive to dest server must be encrypted,

so i wanted to use PC in the middle with FRP, shred folder on the dest (with folder encryption policy), but my problem is when the PC is logged off (no user logged on) the files does not encrypted.

finally, i  really appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Ito supports protection of data on servers, it does not support installation on servers - obviously as how do you install software on a samba server? As Naveen says, what's your use case?

installing frp on a server would break encryption for all the clients connecting to that server.

0 Kudos
m_bk
Level 9

hi SafeBoot,

i wrote my use case once you commented, please take a look on it

thanks,

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Installing FRP on the server won't change things - FRP is a user driven application, it's not designed to be driven by the system. If you install FRP on the source server, the files won't be encrypted again unless some user is involved in their creation. You could blindcopy them to the destination if they are encrypted, but the question is, how to get them to be encrypted in the first place, especially if no user is logged in.

What you really need is eBusiness Server which is designed specifically for this use case - McAfee KnowledgeBase - McAfee partners with Software Diversified Services to deliver E-Business Serv...

0 Kudos