cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigsmurf
Level 7

Disk unsupported with multiple disks/partitions - ePo 4.6.6 / Agent 4.8 / EEPC 7.0.1

Jump to solution

Recently we upgraded our ePo server from 4.6.0 to 4.6.6, and we are testing new versions of disk encryption (EEPC 7.0.1 with Agent 4.8), currently using EEPC 6.2.0 and Agent 4.6.0.

All test clients which use one normal harddisk are doing fine, upgrading both the Agent and EEPC proceed without problems. The same holds for test machines with multiple harddisks who already use an earlier version of EEPC, these are upgrading perfectly to 7.0.1.

However, test clients which have multiple disks, but are not yet using EEPC (mostly because we wanted to wait for a newer version regarding UEFI issues), have problems. We have clients with both an SSD and a harddisk for data. The SSD will stay unencrypted to maintain performance, where the harddisk with data will be encrypted. We have this managed for more than a year with a product policy where the D:\ partition is encrypted, and this has been working fine under EEPC 6.2.0 and Agent 4.6.0. With the new versions, I get "disk unsupported" all the time, whatever I do.

The "Unsupported" message sometimes disappears when the Agent and EEPC software are installed first, followed by a format of the harddisk via Disk Management in W7 and an immediate start of the encryption after the format, but I also have clients which will stay unsupported regardless a format. Even when the disk is fully formatted, and the encryption software is installed on the machine after that, the disk will be shown as unsupported, as if something messed up the partition table or something during installation of the agent and/or EEPC software. I have never experienced this problem with the current software versions (4.6 and 6.2).

The Agent client log shows the following line as error:

2013-07-31 10:55:22,966 ERROR   CryptManager                         Skipping disk 1: alg id 0x12 is not the expected 0x12 or key check 0x17234bca48c3f07a is not the expected 0xb4785478406911bf

Formatting the disks from all clients is not really an option, so as you can imagine I'm pretty scared to deploy the new versions to all employees. Who can help me?

on 7/31/13 6:33:33 AM CDT

Message was edited by: bigsmurf on 7/31/13 2:14:05 PM CEST
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Disk unsupported with multiple disks/partitions - ePo 4.6.6 / Agent 4.8 / EEPC 7.0.1

Jump to solution

As far as I can work out, if you let clean all run for a few seconds, that should be sufficient to clear the gap - there's probably no need to let it run to completion. Then you can recreate the partiton and you should be good.

The advantage of using eetech, or a sector editor, is you can clear the part gap without affecting the existing data etc.

If you install eepc, you can run eetech within the os itself - no need to boot off separate media etc. the drivers are the same between eepc and eetech - that might make things easier for you.

You just need to copy the eetech folder structure onto your machine, then you should be able to directly modify the drive.

That's the theory anyway. :-)

0 Kudos
11 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Disk unsupported with multiple disks/partitions - ePo 4.6.6 / Agent 4.8 / EEPC 7.0.1

Jump to solution

Usually this is seen on 2nd disks which were previously encrypted, but were formatted without removing the encryption, so they still have the disk information present in the partition gap from a previous activation.

Re ssd's and performance, if you are using aes-ni processors (intel i3,5,7 etc) you should see near native performance with eepc7

This kc covers the problem and how to resolve - http://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB78200&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1...

0 Kudos
bigsmurf
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.

The KC gives me 67 pages of topics, you sure that is the good URL? Because the remaining info in the partition gap can really well be the problem, but the url isn't of any help for now.

Regarding the SSD's, would encrypted SSDs in machines with mobile i5 CPUs perform just as well as unencrypted? That would spare me some headaches.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

Strange - let me try the link again

http://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB78200&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1...

It's kc article kb78200 though.

If the processor has aes-ni extensions then it will be fast.

0 Kudos
bigsmurf
Level 7

Jump to solution

The link is still not working, but I have found it via Google already, thanks.

Though, I just tried this on one of the machines, but the diskpart solution obviously formats all data from the disk, which is not the meaning, and the disk is still unsupported. I removed EEPC from the machine, followed the diskpart solution and afterwards reinstalled EEPC. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Using diskpart without removing EEPC first doesn't work as well, still unsupported.

Thanks for the tip regarding the SSDs, most of the machines here have AES-NI as far as I can see.

Message was edited by: bigsmurf on 7/31/13 4:25:07 PM CEST
0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

If you are getting the keycheck mismatch error, it's most certainly related to old information on the drive, so I would suspect the clean operation is not working

Use eetech to delete the sectors using the workspace option maybe?

0 Kudos
bigsmurf
Level 7

Jump to solution

Awkward. Is there a KC Article for that solution too, or an (un)official guide? I have to make an EETech cd or usb first anyhow, but I can't really find any info on which sectors should be cleared and how to do that with an EETech medium?

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

You need to clear sectors 1-63 usually. The eetech guide discusses how to use the workspace.

Clean shoud work - that's the tool Microsoft provide to do just what needs to be done. Maybe use clean all instead?

0 Kudos
bigsmurf
Level 7

Jump to solution

Alright, I will try clean all tomorrow, and eetech if that is no success.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

As far as I can work out, if you let clean all run for a few seconds, that should be sufficient to clear the gap - there's probably no need to let it run to completion. Then you can recreate the partiton and you should be good.

The advantage of using eetech, or a sector editor, is you can clear the part gap without affecting the existing data etc.

If you install eepc, you can run eetech within the os itself - no need to boot off separate media etc. the drivers are the same between eepc and eetech - that might make things easier for you.

You just need to copy the eetech folder structure onto your machine, then you should be able to directly modify the drive.

That's the theory anyway. :-)

0 Kudos