cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsiergiej
Level 9

Dell Latitude E6510 freeze after pre-boot login

I have a brand new latitude D6510 with Windows 7 preloaded on it.  I installed EEPC agent and software to it and the disc encrypted (took forever with its 216GB HD).  After it was done, I rebooted and it froze on me immediately after entering my password and pressing enter.  The password box went away, but it froze with the mcafee pre-boot background still there and the mouse pointer.

I tried an emergency boot and got to the desktop, but the EE status was Recovery and I couldn't remove EE via policy.  It did nothing.   I removed EE with the safetech disk, but it was taking too long, so I re-applied a non-encrypted image I took of the PC before McaFee was applied.

Now, my question is, could this "freeze-up" be due to the computer coming pre-built with a C and a D drive?  The D drive was formatted as fat 32 and used for system recovery. Since the re-imaging, it no longer has the D drive, so I am re-encrypting as we speak and will see if the issue reoccurs.

Should we not be encrypting both drives?  I know Vista laptops also come this way from dell, but the one I have been testing with didn't have the D drive because it was done over previously.

Message was edited by: Jack Siergiej on 6/2/10 6:57:26 AM CDT
0 Kudos
34 Replies
peter_eepc
Level 15

Re: Dell Latitude D6510 freeze after pre-boot login

Is there any use for that D drive, after you install EEPC?  If no, then do not keep it. Make sure that PC is built in a way that is compatible with EEPC and EEPC Recovery operations. That must be done prior to EEPC installation, of course.

on 5/28/10 12:29:46 PM EDT
0 Kudos
jsiergiej
Level 9

Re: Dell Latitude E6510 freeze after pre-boot login

The D drive comes with the laptop when you get it from Dell.  Its a small couple gig partition that is used for recovery purposes.  So for all the laptops that are currently out there now that we got from Dell with the C and D partitions, we should get rid of that partition first?

Is there documentation regarding this or the recommended compatible build you are talking about that says you can't have this D (recovery) partition?

Message was edited by: Jack Siergiej on 5/28/10 12:17:05 PM CDT

on 6/2/10 7:00:07 AM CDT
0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

We always put our image on purchased PC's. Easier to manage.

As to what should be on that custom image, is up to your company. Proper testing (including EEPC) assures smooth(-er) ride afterwards.

As for EEPC compatibility, there are some McAfee docs (vague though) and even provision to customize exclusions via ePO. Look "Server Settings" -> "Endpoint Encryption"  first.

0 Kudos
jsiergiej
Level 9

We don't have an "image" here.  I just made one using some dell software before-hand for this laptop so I could get it back up and running quickly when things went bad during testing.

Basically, we order our computers from dell with the OS pre-installed and then go about installing software, etc. when we get them.  We sporadically replace computers here and there when they are up for renewal, so we don't use an imaging software.

So basically, I am looking for input about applying EEPC to the Dell laptops right out of the box.

on 6/2/10 6:59:52 AM CDT
0 Kudos
jsiergiej
Level 9

Found something here.  I wasn't getting the issue of "inactive" in the Encryption status window, but after reading this, it does seem like the D partition is currently not compatible with EEPC 6.0.x .

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67989

They apparently plan on fixing this in 6.1, but the workaround is to install Windows 7 fresh with no available space so the D partition is not created...

This really sux for computers already out there with Windows 7.  You have to redo a user's computer to get EEPC to work.

on 6/2/10 6:59:38 AM CDT
0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

Or wait for EEPC 6.1.0 if it fixes this problem. It is in Beta now, so you could try it right away.

0 Kudos
jsiergiej
Level 9

I am using it now.  Didn't fix the issue. Posted it up on the beta forum.

on 6/2/10 6:59:25 AM CDT
0 Kudos
jsiergiej
Level 9

Did anyone out there get EE to work on a Dell Latitude E6500 series laptop?  Mine keeps freezing right after I attempt to login at preboot.  I've redone the computer twice and made sure to delete the D partition, but its still does the same thing... Any ideas?

0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

Does it work with EEPC v5.x though? Maybe it is worth trying, as a troubleshooting step.

0 Kudos