cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Dell E5470 with Drive Encryption 7.1.3 doesn't accept keyboard input at DE login

Jump to solution

If this laptop is started while USB input devices are connected, it will prevent the user from typing her password into the Drive Encryption login screen. I have seen this issue with DE 7.1.1 on just about all Dell laptops utilizing Skylake processors (E5470, E7470, M7510, M7710, etc.) However, I have always been able to correct the issue simply by updating to DE 7.1.3. This one particular E5470 doesn't respond to the update like the others do.

When I upgrade to Drive Encryption 7.1.3, I am updating the DE Host, EEPC, and DEGO packages. In this case, I have also completely decrypted the drive and allowed the Agent to recreate the pre-boot file system and that didn't help either.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 10

Re: Dell E5470 with Drive Encryption 7.1.3 doesn't accept keyboard input at DE login

Jump to solution

It turns out McAfee DE does not support USB 3.0 in the pre-boot environment when using legacy ROMs. It only affected laptops with Skylake processors because Skylake removed native support for USB 2.0. So the solution is to use UEFI ROMs.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
jhall2
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Re: Dell E5470 with Drive Encryption 7.1.3 doesn't accept keyboard input at DE login

Jump to solution

Have you updated the hardware compatibility XML? The newest file is attached to the bottom of this KB:

https://kb.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=kb81900

Note: The system must be reactivated after upgrading this XML to apply the changes. You can either emergency boot the system or decrypt and deactivate and reactivate.

Also, most of these systems listed including the e5470 require at least MDE 7.1.3.590 which was released in June 2016. 7.1.3.604 was released shortly after that. I would recommend using the latest 604 version.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

It turns out McAfee DE does not support USB 3.0 in the pre-boot environment when using legacy ROMs. It only affected laptops with Skylake processors because Skylake removed native support for USB 2.0. So the solution is to use UEFI ROMs.

View solution in original post

mgarten
Level 8
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello mberemand,

we have the same problem here. But we couldn't solve it.

Could you let me know the right settings from BIOS/UEFI, please?

Thanks

mgarten

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Is your operating system already UEFI bootable? Are you using the latest MDE 7.1.3?

mgarten
Level 8
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello mberemand,

as Operating system we use Windows 10 and the Version of MDE is the latest one: 7.1.3.604.

So what could be the solution?

mgarten

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

If Windows 10 was installed on an MBR initialized disk, it's booting in legacy mode and will have problems with McAfee DE. You need to install it on a GPT initialized disk and have your BIOS set to UEFI mode.

While it's technically possible to convert an MBR disk to GPT and still make it bootable, it's best to back up everything and do a clean install on a GPT initialized disk. Assuming you are using regular Windows installation media, you can use this guide.

mgarten
Level 8
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

OK, we will try it and let you know.

Thanks

mgarten
Level 8
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello everybody,

now I have verified and tested the hints regarding GPT.

2 situations:

1) Dell Latitude e5470 with a Bios Version 1.3.8. External keyboard and mouse connected to system did work at the McAfee Preboot Authentication.

If notebook is connected to a docking station and keyboard and mouse connected over docking station then exernal keyboard and mouse is NOT working at the McAfee Preboot Authentication

2) Dell Latitude e5470 with the newest Bios Version 1.9.4. External keyboard and mouse connected to system did NOT work at the McAfee Preboot Authentication.

If notebook is connected to a docking station and keyboard and mouse connected over docking station then exernal keyboard and mouse is NOT working at the McAfee Preboot Authentication.

So I don't know what is wrong. Any help?

mgarten

jhall2
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

I have seen a simular issue on the Dell e7470 in which with Secureboot enabled in the BIOS the KB / Mouse do not function in preboot with the latest revision of the BIOS (1.7.3). Can you test with Secureboot disabled? If this changes the behavior, please open a case with Dell and open a case with Intel Security support, provide a MER and the Dell case number for further investigation.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community