cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sokam
Level 7

Decrypt a single partition

I have a system with multiple logical partitions namely: drives C, D and E.

How can I just re-image drive C and leave drives D and E intact?

What are the steps to achieve this process.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Decrypt a single partition

0 Kudos
sokam
Level 7

I followed the steps described in the KB ( https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71839&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=...) but after I re-imaged drive C - I got the following error on reboot:

Fatal Error 0XEE020006) Getting disk info.

Where did I wrong?

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

If you got that error straight away after reimaging with a clean OS, then your image didnt overwrite the PBA or MBR etc?

0 Kudos
sokam
Level 7

Thanks SafeBoot.

How can I get my image to overwrite the PBA or MBR etc?

As I mentioned I just re-imaged drive 'C' on a disk with multiple logical partitions (namely drives 'C, D & E).

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

You'd need to ask whoever makes your image software. It sounds like you made a partition image.

If so, you need to flushmbr to get rid of eepc, but that will also remove any chance of automatic decryption of other partitions, so make sure you know what you are doing.

0 Kudos
sokam
Level 7

Can you please clarify  on your comment of 16 Feb 2013 what you meant by "It sounds like you made a partition image"?

I chose the "Partition" option to re-image just drive "C" rather than using the "Disk" option. Was  that the right thing to do?

So inorder to avoid getting the error: Fatal Error 0XEE020006) Getting disk info -

Do I create a disk partition and then use the partiton option to be able to perform the re-imaging of drive "C".

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

I can't really answer that question but the Pre boot environment is not part of the c partition, so you need to flush the mbr as well as replacing the c partition if you want to boot from your new image.

0 Kudos
ascoyne
Level 10

As SafeBoot states your MBR will probably be on a system partition. On our setup (win 7) we have a hidden 100mb hidden partition where the boot records sit.  No disrespect meant, but you don't sound overly confident with what you doing and this could lead to problems. The link sokam posted provides the solution, but I fear you have already imaged the C partition and therefore unable to re-use the key and this means your D drive data is unreadable even if you could get your PC to boot.

FYI with Win 7 you use the bcdboot command to rebuild the boot configuration files.

I strongly recommend you read up on EEPC to at least understand it concepts before using it.  Better still get a test device have a "play" with it to to get a feel for how to use EEPC.

0 Kudos