cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: DE 7.1.3 - User keeps receiving Balloon notification Preboot password needs updating

Hi jhall,

The problem is that even after locking the screen and re-entering credentials with MDE apparently updating the credentials, at the next AD polling interval, the user is prompted yet again.

Also, with regards to the mcafee tile overlay, it would seem to be a bug which is under investigation:  1046611

046611-7.1.0InvestigatingIssue: The McAfee tile on the Credential Provider screen keeps appearing even after the Single Sign On (SSO) is captured for a user.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB84502

So the question still remains, is there a solution to this issue with the AD polling feature that is new to DE 7.1.3?  Workarounds would be to clear SSO or disable the balloon notification completely in the policy (but that's not a solution to the issue.)

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 13

Re: DE 7.1.3 - User keeps receiving Balloon notification Preboot password needs updating

The bug 1046611 has been closed as it is the intention that the shield at the logon and lock screen be displayed to inform the user that MDE may be able to capture this logon.

The issue that is present when the balloon is displayed multiple times is the result of the AD timestamp being newer than the timestamp of the user token. The user token timestamp will not be updated unless a change to the password occurs. Locking and unlocking the machine in which no password change occurs will not update the timestamp. Clearing the SSO information will cause the password to be recaptured and result in the timestamp being updated. However, if the issue was caused by the client machines clock being set incorrectly and that issue has not yet been corrected or a third party password update utility updates the Last Password Set AD attribute for the user, the behavior may reoccur.

Highlighted

jhall2 wrote:

The bug 1046611 has been closed as it is the intention that the shield at the logon and lock screen be displayed to inform the user that MDE may be able to capture this logon.

Thanks.  I figured the McAfee tile overlay was intentional when I first saw it - but then when I saw the bug listing in the Known issues page, I wasn't so sure.

With regards to the AD timestamp, I'll need to see how more machines behave as we pilot to a larger test group.  We've had it occur on 3 out of 12 machines so far - I would've thought it would update upon lock and unlock since the prompt is shown specifically to update the credentials, but I guess that isn't the case.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community