cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twenden
Level 13

Can you McAfee Pre-Boot & Encrypt a Windows Client that is virtual either hosted on a VmWare ESXi 5.5 server?

I am used to encrypting physical hardware like desktops and laptops. Our VM admins are asking if you can encrypt and use McAfee Pre-Boot on virtual client, Windows 7 client, hosted on a VmWare ESXi server?

Currently, I have several physical workstations that I use to test McAfee Drive Encryption. They are thinking that I don't need those and instead use VM's for testing. I am not too sure if it is possible or if I would have issue if I call support.

We are currently using McAfee Drive encryption 7.1.3.590.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mitch_reid
Level 10

Re: Can you McAfee Pre-Boot & Encrypt a Windows Client that is virtual either hosted on a VmWare ESXi 5.5 server?

I use VMware for testing basic functionality. However preboot interacts with the hardware and VMs can't do that. I start with a VM for new version testing but always use the physical hardware to test deploying the MDE software.

0 Kudos
saintjohn
Level 7

Re: Can you McAfee Pre-Boot & Encrypt a Windows Client that is virtual either hosted on a VmWare ESXi 5.5 server?

******************* YES, IT CAN BE DONE!!! ********************

This McAfee KB article says it is not supported:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB76966&actp=LIST

However, I have an entire lab set up and running on PC. It was all free however time limited which can be dealt with.

I have a laptop with i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB HD and running Windows 10 Pro with Hyper-V enabled.

I can access the pre-boot environment (logon page) on the client VMs using Virtual Machine Connection.

I have a Windows 2008 R2 server running as a VM with ePO Server 5.3.2 installed.

Technet Evaluation Center

Free Security Trials - Product Evaluations | McAfee

I also have Windows 7, 8 and 10 clients running as VMs.

Free Virtual Machines from IE8 to MS Edge - Microsoft Edge Development

The client VMs are all running MA 5.0.4 and registered in the ePO VM.

All the clients are running Drive Encryption 7.1.3, are fully encrypted and functioning with preboot.

Yes, it works. It rocks. It's free.

I haven't tried it on VMware but you can download a test client (link above) and try it.

Clients are available on six different virtual platforms.

Maybe your VMware Admin can give you limited access to just your VMs through their admin console somehow, perhaps a limited logon.

3VMs.JPG

0 Kudos