cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffGerard
Level 10

Black Screen after Standby->Undock->Use->Standby->Dock-Use

This is occuring on a Lenovo T61 with Windows XP SP3. (Nvidia video card)

After encrypting (although I suspect the agent/client is the culprit), when this user goes into standby while docked, then takes his laptop off the dock and uses it, then puts it back in standby, then docks it and tries to use it again he gets a black screen and the machine is unresponsive. (hard boot required)  He has an external keyboard/mouse/monitor and none of the external devices work, however, on the laptop keyboard pressing numlock will light up the numlock indicator (caps lock does nothing).  If the user is docked, goes standby, undocks, then *does not use the laptop* then goes back on dock, it comes out of standby fine.

I will also be opening a ticket on this but thought I'd put it here as well.

Thoughts?

(This machine also experiences issues with sound since installing EEPCv6 although I can't confirm if it is coincidence or not as the sound device errors out only sometimes and stops working at boot.  A subsequen reboot self-fixes the issue.  This is a "SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio" device)

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mcope
Level 7

Re: Black Screen after Standby->Undock->Use->Standby->Dock-Use

Jeff, there's known issues with IBM\Lenovo Laptops that may explain the problems you are experiencing:

1.      3-764502301 Dell Vostro 1000 / IBM Thinkpad T41 / IBM Thinkpad T60 / IBM Thinkpad T61/ IBM Thinkpad T400 / IBM Thinkpad T43– currently incompatible with EEPC, crashes on windows load.

1.      533986 – Blue screen after boot for IBM Thinkpad T400's, T61's, T60's, T43's, T42's. No solution at the moment – do not install on these models.

0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

Where did you get those references from?

0 Kudos
mcope
Level 7

The first laptop I encrypted with EEPC 6 was a Thinkpad T41. It would black screen after Windows started. I called support and they told me about the known issues. There's also a KB out there concerning the issue (KB67725)

0 Kudos
peter_eepc
Level 15

Thanks. So problem seems to be growing bigger (first ATI, now also Nvidia). Wording is strange though...

Endpoint Encryption for PC 6.0 uses low level memory for code during the boot sequence. To ensure that Windows does not write over these sectors, Endpoint Encryption reserves the memory area.

Current testing indicates that the mechanism used to reserve memory in Endpoint Encryption for PC 6.0 is causing the problem and is believed to be specific to Windows XP.

0 Kudos
mcope
Level 7

BTW - I disabled the video card in Device Manager on the T41 (forcing Windows to use a standard vga driver) and it worked. Not acceptable from a users perspective but good enough to test. Also, I think Patch 1 addresses these issues. I was told patch 1 is due out first part of February.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

sectors of memory eh? Who would have guessed.

The problem if I remember right is that EEPC grabs some memory at the top of real mode (640kb and down) for the code we need to get the disk working until Windows takes over, but when Windows loads it just stuffs it's components from the bottom up. Addon cards like SCSI controllers, video cards etc also grab blocks from the top of real mode, especially ones with no onboard RAM of their own, so the two move ever closer together.

There's usually some free space between the "option ROMs" at the top and the Windows code at the bottom, but if they collide, this kind of non-bootable situation will occur.

Personally I'd blame old Billy for thinking "640K ought to be enough for anybody", but that, though entertaining, is a misquote. http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

0 Kudos
JeffGerard
Level 10

In my testing thus far, these issues are specific to the Lenovo models listed with Windows XP and ATI graphics cards.  Actually all issues I've run into have only applied to Windows XP.  Windows 7 (x86 and x64) have worked flawlessly on all models I have tested)

I am quite certain that the issue I am having here is not the same issue as you have described from that EEPCv6 Bible (McAfee internal doc).  McAfee has escalated this case to Tier III as well.  I am trying to provide them with as much info as possible to come up with a resolution.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

so, dare I ask where you got a copy of the bible from? The ink's not even dry on that yet. :-)

0 Kudos
JeffGerard
Level 10

2 of the support people I spoke with sent it to me...I was made aware that it was really an internal doc, however, most of it is comprised of the posts by Dan Larson found here: http://community.mcafee.com/blogs/danlarson

0 Kudos